Herd names

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tioga12, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

OK, so now I have my first goats and have joined up with the ADGA. I plan on raising and selling quality registered goats as a hobby and to supplement our income.
    I have been thinking hard the last few weeks about a catchy herd name for our dairy girls. But I am not so good at names, and I really want a good one here. Perhaps something to hint at the area where we live-about 2000 ft. above sea level in beautiful northern PA where the mountain climate is cool and the landscape quite reminiscent of Austria. (from the pics I have seen :rolleyes: ) We live in Tioga County, so maybe I could incorporate that. Our does all wear copper sheep bells, so frequent jingling is heard regularly.
    I have had so many thoughts, and these are some current ones. My husband raises his eyebrows with my ideas, so maybe I can get some input or feedback from others here on the forum.
    Here are my current thoughts:

Alpine Meadows (would be a good one to double up with the soap business)
    High Altitude (kind of want to use this one???)
    Tioga Tinkle Belles ( a little long to keep names within the 30 char.limit)
    Merry Meade

Cast your votes or please help with any suggestions!

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

I feel your pain--we use Precious Cottage Farm (LONG story) and I love its uniqueness although I wish it were shorter. Hard to name the babies! Our tattoo is PC05 (Precious Cottage 2005).

I like Alpine Meadow but run it through ADGA database to see if taken. High Altitude is kinda cool...

Vanessa
    Precious Cottage Farm near Nashville

3. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Tioga Belles is kind of cute too.

I like High Altitude too, do not know why, it is just different.

4. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I like High Altitude better than the others, too. Or maybe High Meadow/s? Or High Altitude Meadows (hard on the names, though). I think meadow in the name sounds really good for soap, though, like you said. I can see a picture of a goat on a moutainside in a soap label really easy. :)

Jennifer

5. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Heaven's Belles or Heavenly Belles :angel:

6. copperpennykids

copperpennykids Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the Heavenly Belles or Merry Meade (catches the eye because it is different and somehow has that Old fashioned cottage garden/ english feel to it.)

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Keep it short. With your herd name Tiago you can still be Tiago Nubians (or whatever breed) on your banners and farm signs, Tiago Goat Milk Soaps, Tiago chihuahuas, or anything else you move to eventually on your farm. My Shihtzu's I raised after about 12 years in goats were Lonesome Doe....yep pretty dumb :) But picking a short name with ADGA also gives you alot more work room in naming your kids! Picking colors and herd names is so personal, just make sure you do it right the first time, so you don't change midstream and have the expense of all new stuff, because you will want pen signs, buckets, haybags, farm signs, banners and vehicle signs! Hmmm....business cards, letterhead, I even have luggage tags and collars!!! a tattoo :cool: ??? Teasing! They would get the nubain head and ears all wrong! Vicki

8. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Tioga Belles is perfect! Remember you only get 30 letters and spaces for a registered goat's name.

Where are you in PA? Obviously, in Tioga County, but near what? I'm in Northeast, which is just outside of Erie.

Ruth

9. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

how about Rare Air? shorter than high altitude, but also a little snazzy?

10. tioga12

Tioga county is 35 miles north of Williamsport and 20 miles south of Mansfield...40 minutes east of Wellsboro and the Canyon...
    I was to Erie once about 10 years ago.

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

How about AA? Appalachian Alpines....are you in them there mountains? AA would definitely be short...

12. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

LOL! I think 'High Altitude' would be best saved for someone way up in the Rocky Mountains, not at only 2,000'.

I think Tioga Belles sounds pretty good, or like Vicki said, keep it short and just use Tioga. (If it isn't already taken.)

Mine is Freehold -- not ADGA, since other than my Ober buck, my goats aren't ADGA registered, but my herd name (which I still need, even if I'm not ADGA).

Kathleen (elevation 4,200', with higher mountains all around)

13. tioga12

:rolleyes: Thanks, Kathleen, that is one reason I thought I should ask around....that is high to us, but I know it doesn't compare to REAL mountains...
    I really would like to use the Tioga handle since I use it a lot already in my forums and blogs, and we just LOVE it here since we bought the place 5 years ago.

14. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

What about Tioga Aire, Tioga Meadows, or Tioga Belles? One of those should be available.

Good luck with your name!

Alpine Meadows is pretty, but I think clearly of Alpine goats only then.

15. tioga12

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. It is definitely helping me in the selection process. The other thread on herd names is informative, too. So I am leaning toward Tioga or Tioga Belles. How would that work with the name...would an 's be added if I chose Tioga, or should I put it there for placement in the names, for example:
    Tioga's CC Lil' Classy OR Tioga CC Lil' Classy ???

16. Bella Star

Bella Star LaMancha & Boer

I agree with keeping it short and I didnt add the farm at the end as it saves letters but I do add it on my cards and web site.

17. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

I believe it's your call. I simply use Patriot without the possessive, ie Patriot Molly Maguire.

Ruth

18. tioga12

I love your avatar!

19. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I really like incorporating Tioga in some way, even alone. Tioga Bells, Tioga Hills, Tioga Meadows, etc. A good chance no one has taken that name.

20. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I vote for Tioga Belles.