Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,208 Posts
From my observations, what happens next is somewhat location and circumstance driven.

I have traveled recently to two small towns within an hour of Austin. Based on what I saw in the feed store, a major chain grocery store, a convenience store, and a privately owned restaurant/bar, masks are optional. Social distancing is evident only in two small vacant tables in the center of the restaurant.

When the Covid numbers fall from their CDC manipulated heights, compliance with mandates will cease. (At least in rural Texas)

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So, after we get to the "herd immunity" stage, what happens then?
Do we continue wearing masks, wash hands frequently and social distance, making that the new norm? Or do we become 'free at last' until the next cycle of Covid-19?

It's my understanding that no one knows just how long this immunity will last.
My guess is there will be isolated flareups, especially indoors with poor air circulation.

·
Registered
21,235 Posts
From my observations, what happens next is somewhat location and circumstance driven.

I have traveled recently to two small towns within an hour of Austin. Based on what I saw in the feed store, a major chain grocery store, a convenience store, and a privately owned restaurant/bar, masks are optional. Social distancing is evident only in two small vacant tables in the center of the restaurant.

When the Covid numbers fall from their CDC manipulated heights, compliance with mandates will cease. (At least in rural Texas)
You are right. No matter what government tells people to do, when the burden of government becomes overbearing and people see the foolishness they will just ignore them. Mandate compliance mostly ended around here about 2 months ago. Probably 90% of the people in Walmart used to wear masks but now it is way less half. Most do still keep some sort of distance just like they do every flu season but I do see more and more people stopping to chat in the aisles with friends. Local restaurants are now open with few wearing masks but despite all this abandonment of masks and bottles of disinfectant inside the doors of businesses or employees frantically wiping down every table between customers, our COVID infections have dropped like a rock to near zero. That tells me either the government required precautions weren't accomplishing much or we are nearing herd immunity.

·
Premium Member
25,224 Posts
Here businesses can be shut down if customers don't wear masks. So the business employees have been designated to be mask police. It probably won't end until we have no cases. All our counties are still considered high spread by the CDC.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As usual, our experts are acting stupidly...It doesn't really matter if a person tests + or - for the virus. It's the presence or absence of antibodies that counts....Each of us is carrying about 8% viral DNA. As long as it's not causing illness, BFD. Evolutionary surprise: Eight percent of human genetic material comes from a virus -- ScienceDaily They should be testing for antibodies, not virus, but that's harder/more costly to do. ...If + virus tests are running 10%, then those 90% of -'s have an unknown antibody status-- It could be that runs at a very high + rate and we're safer than we think.

edit--Just did a quick search- data on first responders from last May/Jun Early Release - Prevalence of SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies in First Responders and Public Safety Personnel, New York City, New York, USA, May–July 2020 - Volume 27, Number 3—March 2021 - Emerging Infectious Diseases journal - CDC 22% had + Ab for CoV, and, BTW- no dif in rates according to PPE use (actually slightly higher for glove users)...Only big dif was 4x higher rate in those with household contact + for CoV. (Surprise Surprise, Barney.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
The US has 4.23% of the world's population, yet claims a full 20% of WORLDWIDE Covid fatalities.

We are being played BIG time.

This in a country with the best medical care in the world and an overall Covid survival rate above 90%.

COVID-19 SURVIVAL RATES (per CDC):
Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%

If you are still buying into the always has been BS bureaucratic constitutional rights grab/infringement that Covid has always been about, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

Keep on drinkin' the Kool-Aid sheeple.

·
Premium Member
25,224 Posts
Just my opinion but when the govt offers hospitals money to care for covid patients that the hospitals don't get for other patients, the hospital is going to have a lot of covid patients. Especially after the hospitals started losing money and laying off staff because they weren't performing other necessary medical proceedures.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Doc, is that Barney Rubble or Barney Fife?
That was Gomer Pile talking to Barney Fife.

Some info (look it up if anyone doubts me)--
US pop-330,000,000 EU pop - 500,000,000
US nursing home pop- 1.5 million EU nursing home pop- 600,000
US CoViD deaths-de 500,000 US CoViD deaths in NH pts- 125,000

If we assume NH death rate is similar in US vs EU, then, if NH beds in EU were increased to US rate, that would add 75,000 to the EU deaths, and the rates in the US vs EU would be very similar...

.As others have said, our numbers of CoViD deaths may well be grossly exaggerated here. There's no reason to think our medical care is inferior to anybody. Our population also contains many more members of groups with genetics that seem to be risk factors in CoViD....You can't really compare our situation to any other country....I don't feel like running the numbers right now, but if you examine the US white, ambulatory population (75% of us) vs the EU white, ambulatory population (essentially 100% of them) I'd bet we're doing way better than them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That was Gomer Pile talking to Barney Fife.
Actually Doc, not to nit-pick, but a proper quote from Gomer would be "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" He always said it three times.

Other memorable Gomerisms: "Gawl-oh-oll-ee!" You've got to roll it off of your tongue just right.

And who can forget, "Shazam!"

You're welcome.

Probably Gomer's best scene on Andy Griffith
:

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I don't recall the name, but there was a Jerry Lewis movie in the 60s in which an old lady is sitting in her living room watching tv commercials. The woman picks up her cup of coffee as the advertiser hawks that particular brand, then a cigarette as the next commercial touts her brand of smokes.
There will be people wearing masks in public from now on. Some will do it for sincere health reasons; the majority of the others will do so because they believe they are doing their part.
It has just become a part of the culture.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Saw a headline on the newspaper at the grocery today. Said that "some parents are upset" because children are required to eat their lunches on the floor, all facing the same direction, and none of them are allowed to talk. It is criminal child abuse. PaLady is right, and so is Tom Horn. This game we've been playing for almost a year now is called "moving the goal posts". Remember, three weeks to slow the spread.. Social engineering on a massive scale for something less deadly than the common flu. All of the precautions we are told to take demonstrably effect our health negatively. It was never about our health, ever. Times like this I'm grateful not to have children: Children Of The Great Reset

·
Premium Member
25,224 Posts
I found a couple links to kids eating lunch on the floor that were very recent but both are pay to read sites. It gave the name of Wake bit I don't know if it's a county or school district.

Found this site;

I would take my kids out of school if this was happening.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,208 Posts
I would take my children out of the school that the author of the article attended. That is the worst writing that I have seen in a while.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
41 - 60 of 99 Posts