Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been able to keep up much with my garden this summer and now waiting for new dehydrator to be delivered..My basil isn't at it's "peak" anymore and still hoping it will be OK..after drying it. Yes..have done some drying by hanging but have plenty more to dry. Is there a ...too late..to dry herbs especially my basil..???:teehee:

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think it always tastes great, just better picked at peak just as the morning dew dries. I'm still using mine! If you're worried that the flavor won't be as strong than just freeze it (I use ice cube trays for this) and it will be stronger / almost fresh when thawed to use.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I have never had success with drying basil! The others , if you cant leave them out due to impending frost , you could cut and put upside down in a brown paper bag, leave to dry away from sunlight.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have enough frozen with oil (ground up) to get me through another year. Instead of using it for the leaves, I'm going to save the seeds for next year, then I'll have what I need next year.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Basil does not dry well anyway. You need to freeze it. I do mine in ice cube trays and add the whole cube to my soups, stews, etc.

That being said, you might want to google freezing basil. There are a few different methods people have come up with including a way to freeze without water. I came across it a few weeks ago and didn't have time to read it. I kept meaning to go back and just haven't gotten around to it.

Reactions: light rain

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I have a good south facing window--dug up a plant, cut it back severely, potted it in good soil and now it's putting out new growth. Don't know how long it will live/produce inside but anything is better than nothing.

Agree that frozen is better than dried.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've never had trouble drying basil - ignorance is bliss, maybe? :)

Before I used a dehydrator, I would gather bunches (of everything I'd dry) and put a rubber band around the bottom and hang upside down. (The rubber band will "shrink" with the drying stems; the stems will fall out of twine if you don't periodically tighten it, which seems too much trouble to me). We used to live right by cattle, and so the flies were bad, and I couldn't hang out in the open (like those lovely kitchens I'd see in pictures with a beam hung with drying plants) so I'd put small bunches (upside down) in marked paper lunch bags and hang them til dry. I've done that inside and also outside in the shade on our porch.
Q: why is it "past prime?" Blooming? Drying out on the plant? Snip the blooms off ALL the tops and it'll keep going (hassle, yes, but seems to keep it prime for longer).
hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I don't have much luck bringing sweet basil inside but Greek basil with the little leaves might last until January. The flavor is a little stronger than the sweet but still very good. Some of my other types of basil are getting black spots, fungus? from the cool, wet weather...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts