herbalist assistance please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hummingbird, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hello!

I just got an email from my DH's aunt tonight. She lives in WA state. She's suffering from bursitis in her rear (her words) and is taking anti-inflammitories which are causing some side effects. Don't know what.

What would you recommend? I found a reference to an arnica tinture or ointment or compresses. I have about 1# of arnica flowers from this year. How do I turn them into something useful? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Nance

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Not trying to be difficult, but each pain the patoot is different from another. It is probably best if she communicates with an herbalist nearby. What causes my hip pain is usually different from yours and from anothers, etc. There are no blanket recommendations really.

Generally you might find the herbal resources at your library, etc. helpful to start. But for a prescription, there is no shortcut to talking with an herbalist there.

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'd be afraid to say much unless i knew a little more. bursitis in her rear (LOL!!) really doesn't make much sense. cute tho! and it would help to know what anti-inflammatories she is taking and what kind of side effects she is having. i might recommend something herbal that she is already taking in prescription form and cause the same problems.

can you find out more details?

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Best to try to find the root cause. Ask lots of questions. Can be anything from pinched nerve in back to ill fitting bucket seats in the car. I discovered wearing a seat belt will cause a severe bursitis in my hips really quickly. Find out if anything has changed. New car, chairs in the house, different activities? How long has she had it, and has she seen a doc, xrays? My friend's FIL started thinking he had bursitis and it was bone cancer. Really hope she finds the cause and gets better.

5. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

[
    What would you recommend? I found a reference to an arnica tinture or ointment or compresses. I have about 1# of arnica flowers from this year. How do I turn them into something useful? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

Nance[/QUOTE]

Nancy,
    If you want to use the arnica flowers, I would cover them with olive oil and let them set for at least 2 weeks, shaking daily. Or my favorite, put them in a crockpot, cover with the oil and leave on all night, to make arnica oil. Then you can use the straight oil, or mix with a little beeswax to make a cream.
    Great for bruises, straines, pains, etc

Pam

6. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Thanks all!

I appreciate the feed back. I do know that I need more details, I was hoping to be able to make her a lotion or salve, massage cream that might just generally relieve some of the pain. I'm not too sure how open she is to alternative either as I've just begun corresponding with her. Will try to do some more homework. I know that with Fibrgo..... (I'm not claiming that word! ;) ) that certain things work pretty well while others don't.

I am a soapmaker and also make lotions and lip balms so maybe I can come up with something from the arnica oil. (well, as soon as I get rid of the cast & crutches from my bunion surgery anyway) I have some menthol crystals - could that be worked in with the arnica?

Thanks again!

Nance

7. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

This is not a herb, but might be worth a try.

As a nurse, I have to help lift patients all the time. After work sometimes, my back and hips hurt so bad and that sciatic nerve is irritated in my hip and back of my legs. Takes a lot of tylenol or advil to even begin to help and that isn't good.

I have begun doing simple stretches-----think back to high school gym class and bending over trying to touch your toes. Sitting on the floor with legs spread as far as you can and bending over trying to touch your toes. Standing with legs spread and bending at the waist sideways as far as possible. I bend until I feel some pain and hold for the count of 10 and do this 3 times. Takes me maybe 5 or 10 minutes and I try and do it 2 times a day. REALLY HELPS!!!!!

I am so not limber anymore!!!!! My toes seem to be in another state! But I have found that I'm getting closer by the week (measured in increments of 1/32 of an inch) and it makes such a difference in my pain level.

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You know, a massage therapist where she lives may be able to help her and teach her some stretches to do on her own. Depends on what the problem really is, but there is a deep muscle there-under all the glutes- called the piriformis, that can cause some real discomfort.

9. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Bromelain, pineapple enyme, is a natural anti-inflammatory.

10. Nina

Nina Well-Known Member

I get bursitis in my right hip from time to time. It seems to be stress related. Arnica might help, but it can be so deep that it may not get there. Someone on here had mentioned a chiropractic position that I've used to lessen the pain. Putting one's toes together, stand straight, shoulders back, and place heels far enough out so that the two feet form a 90° angle or more. Sort of like this: /\ only wider. (DH said it hurts his hips, but it feels good to me!)

Singing is supposed to help stress, so, perhaps, that'd help, too.

11. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Clean her out with Epsom salts, about 80% of the time this will solve the problem. When the colon gets clogged up it puts pressure on the vegas nerve and can cause severe pain. When you get her cleaned out try to get her to take an herbal lower bowel formula, this will detox and retrain the bowels.

12. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

MSM is good for inflammatory and pain. It heals just about anything, and has absolutely no dangerous side effects.

hollym