Herbal wormers better? If they'll eat em

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Dec 30, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I bought some herbal wormer from Hoeggers and tried it tonight with mixed reviews. Some ate it others thought it wasn't worth the time. Anyone else use it??

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

i use it. All of mine hate it in it's powder form. I have to mix with molasses. I found an easy way to give it to them, but it takes up alot of my time. Mix with molasses to make a dough, then form pellets the size of thier grain. Drop the pellets into a bag with flour and shake them up, so thier evenly coated. Mix with the food. I find this hard and time consuming, however, and wish I hadn't bought it. It also should not be feed by the schedule they say. They can claim it is safe for use like that because it isn't a chemical or something like that, but the main ingredient isn't good for them in small doses over the year, or something like that. I double the dose and give it to them 3 days a month instead of weekly all year long. Also, i have accidentally gotten it in my mouth before, and it is horrid tasting. They also say that it is ok to give to milk goats, But I would NEVER do this, just because i can imagine what the milk would taste like. yuk.

3. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

I have used both Hoeggers and Molly's herbal wormer. Mine prefer Molly's and i don't have to coax them to eat it either (relief) Molly's also contains black walnut (NOT for horses) which is an excellent worming agent. In addition i give mine whole cloves since the volatile oils in them kill the eggs and larvae.

You might try Molly's wormer and see if the goats that don't like Hoggers will eat it....perhaps between the two wormers, the goats will like either one or the other! If that doesn't work, make the molasses balls!

I buy Molly's formula #1 refill. i don't bother with the tonic (formula #2) because I also grow herbs known for their worming properties and feed them to my goats.

http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/wormer.htm#herbala

You should also be aware that it is NOT recommended to give pregnant does any wormer containing wormwood as it could cause a miscarriage/abortion. Worming with wormwood before and after the pregnancy is OK though.

I also dose them 3 days every month instead of every week (however i use the regular dose amount), but I am in MI and so worm/parasites aren't a big issue year round. If i lived in the south and my goats constantly had heavy worm loads, i would probably double dose like mygoat does.

4. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Geez..... it sounds easier to just use Ivomec every few months!! They all ate it but not too hot but oh well... I'll just stick to Ivomec and Panacur it seems.

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I prefer the Ivomec. Its easier to use. A woman I know mixes diatomaceous earth with salt and kelp. She claims this gives her goats their needed minerals while preventing worms. Her goats look good, however one hasn't conceived for 2 years.