Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI.

I keep reading how your supposed to deworm moms and kids right after kidding. I assume that this is because the stress of having the kid (or being the kid) can leave the door open for worms. I don't like the idea of using a chemical wormer "just in case". Can I use an herbal wormer, such as Hoeggers in a case like this?

If I deworm the mom with something like Ivermec after she kids don't I then have to dump her milk? How soon after the kid is born would one deworm the kid?

She's due in a couple of weeks. Couldn't I just start the Hoeggers herbal wormer now and then use it on the kid/kids, too?

Also, I've also heard it recommended that you should treat for Cocci in the kid after it is born. When should you start that? Again, why use chemicals on the kid "just in case"?

And....lastly, what is scours, exactly? If a kid has runny poop do you assume it has worms or cocci? Or...what IS scours?

Dee

·
Super Moderator
12,836 Posts
I don't like herbal wormers. My goats all hate the taste, it's hard to give. Also, at the rate you're 'supposed' to give it, it is really not good for any animal... they can just get away with saying so because it's not a chemical. Also, I found it didn't work... I still got worm overload and had to use chemical. Chemical really isn't that bad... they both are a poison that kills off the worms.

Scours is just a word for runny poo. Whether it's bacterial or just an upset stomach, that's for the owner to discern. :)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Well I like the herbals. I use Molly"s from Fiasco farm. I give the new moms a double dose of the wormwood combo the day they kid then continue on the regular schedual. I sprinkle the dose ontop of 1/4 of thier grain ration. They are hungry and eat it then they get the rest of the grain. The young ones get it mixed with a bit of water and drenched in the mouth with a syringe, needle removed. I am pleased with the results. I had the vet out last week doing TB tests and he was also pleased with their apperence.

·
Registered
742 Posts
MamaDee said:
HI.

I keep reading how your supposed to deworm moms and kids right after kidding. I assume that this is because the stress of having the kid (or being the kid) can leave the door open for worms. I don't like the idea of using a chemical wormer "just in case". Can I use an herbal wormer, such as Hoeggers in a case like this?
Yes. We used Hoggers herbal wormer our first year in goats and it work very well. However, after that the effect seemed to go down. We then went through several chemical wormers that would also work for a while and the die out. We are now using the Molly's herbal wormer available at fiascofarm.com and it is working very well for us.

Something I noticed when switching, is that the herbal wormer from hoeggers contains wormwood, which is believed to cause damage to the kidneys when used so regularly as once a week. When using Molly's herbal wormer, the Wormwood formula is only used once every 7 weeks. Also on the Hoggers website I believe it is stated that there herbal wormer is only to be used as an ‘aid’ not a de-wormer (just something to keep in mind?).

MamaDee said:
If I deworm the mom with something like Ivermec after she kids don't I then have to dump her milk? How soon after the kid is born would one deworm the kid?
If you worm with Ivermec the recommended withdrawal time is anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks. Usually our doe's milk doesn't taste good enough to drink until she has been 2 weeks fresh. All of this milk will go to the kids, or into the freezer for future kids. So for us there would not really be any waste. I do not worry about worming kids until they are anywhere from 1 - 3 months just depending on where they are housed and over all condition. But I'm sure everyone will do this differently.

MamaDee said:
Also, I've also heard it recommended that you should treat for Cocci in the kid after it is born. When should you start that? Again, why use chemicals on the kid "just in case"?

And....lastly, what is scours, exactly? If a kid has runny poop do you assume it has worms or cocci? Or...what IS scours?

Dee
If you worm with an herbal wormer it will take care of Cocci as well as other types of worms with the exception of Lung Worm. We’ve used Molly’s Herbal Wormer for treating Coccidia and had very good results. I don't like to use chemicals unless I am SURE the herbal wormer isn't doing a good enough job, which will happen on rare occasions (then I will use Ivermec). If you want to be sure, do a fecal.

Sorry, can't help with Sours, never had it in our herd. Haven't had any problems with kids having runny poops either. :shrug:

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also on the Hoggers website I believe it is stated that there herbal wormer is only to be used as an ‘aid’ not a de-wormer (just something to keep in mind?)>>>>>

Right. That's why I was wondering if it would be better for a doe who just kidded or a new kid. I'm not trying to "treat" worms, I'm just preventing, right?
I didn't like the idea of giving a chemical unless needed. Chemical vs. herbal wormer argument aside......I also didn't want to use Ivermec and dump milk.

Dee

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Dee read the forums, look at all the sickness an death caused by not worming, by not fecal sampling, by using products either chemical or 'natural' and not fecal sampling to even see what worms it kills, and if it is even killing anything. I just can't accept loss in my herd...also make sure that you are asking what area the person lives in. After several years in goats, your problems become compounded unless you have very deep freezes or live in a very arid area. Lucky for me I live in the woods with very little pasture for my girls to eat down and parasitize themselves. Vicki

1 - 6 of 6 Posts