Herbal Remedy Library

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Balancedmom2003, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I am interested in extending my Herbal Remedy Library. I have been checking out books at the library recently and I particularily like "Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs". I will probably buy a copy. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me?

Thanks
    Michele

2. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I have a copy of one of the originals... Culpeppers... its facinating...

I personally have about 20 different herbals as well as a couple of holistic medicine books.. I like books with GOOD pictures.. perferably in color... I also have several books that explain how to make the medicines from the herbs/plants etc..

I have also downloaded a couple of herbals from off the web... ones that have to do with the area i live ... so i know about the local plants also..

the best advice i can give you.. is read and look.. the library is great.. but so are stores like barnes and noble or borders books... they often carry a variety that the library doesnt have... and both the stores have places where you can sit and peruse thru the books... coffee shops and just big arm chairs.. they are a wonderful place to spend a day.

Lynn in Texas

3. Thanks Lynn,

I got online last night and looked up a few on Barnes & Nobles. I am going to town today and look at the used book store first and then possibly browse B&N. I love that place but it can be so addictive! I love their coffee too! I have to monitor myself very closely when going in there!

Thanks for the input. I will see if I can find any info on Culpepper.

Michele

4. I agree with Lynn. I also own about 20 herbals myself, and the ones with color pictures are really nice to have. A couple with good picture are "The New Age Herbalist" by Richard Mabey, "Healing Plants" by Mannfried Pahlow, and Penelope Ody's "Home Herbal". I got most of mine on eBay, pretty cheaply. The internet is a great source of info too, especially for local I.D.ing. I have also heard that Susun Weed's books are very good, tho I don't own them myself yet.

Good Luck and have fun at B&N!
    -Stacey in NC

5. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

This is a very good software program.
    http://www.vita-master.com/

If you grow herbs, www.backyardgardner.com has good information, also www.herbsfirst.com has good information written by Dr. John Christopher.

6. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

One hint (I'm CHEAP.....) after you find something you want at B&N - and after checking your local used bookstore - go to Amazon and see if they have it used....

I have dozens of books also... will probably be putting some up on the barter board as we get into summer. Some start out being great references, and then just wind up crowding the shelves...

Sue

7. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

8. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I might just be cheaper than you !! I do the very same thing. I walk around B&N with a list and a pencil...Shopping for books...or plants...is for me like some women going to the jewerly store !!

9. " A Modern Herbal" is also available in BOOK form...

10. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

my fav Herb book is "RD Home Handbooks Herbs by Lesley Bremness" It is great. It has practical guides to growing and using herbs, in the garden, house and kitchen. It has really wonderful pictures of each herb including, seeds, full grown plants, dried herb, roots and what to do with each. Each herb has a little box that shows uses for each one listed. It is one of the best books and I just love it. My friend just borrowed it and loved it so much that she went online and found it used for $3.00 It also has recipes for creams, lotions, and cooking. It has a herbs for health section.

Belinda

11. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

Hey ladies, thanks so much for all of the input. I did make it out to the local used book store today and I got 3 books. "Miracle Healing Herbs" by John Heinerman, Ph.D. It has a great cross reference section concerning symptoms and the herbs used for healing. The one bad thing is that it does not have any pictures. "Every Woman's Guide to Natural Home Remedies" by Sally Freeman, again no pics but very useful information. "The Healing Herbs" by Michael Castleman. It does have pictures in black and white and is very descriptive and has easy to follow directions.

I also added to my other collections "The handmade soap book" by Melinda Coss from Storey Books. (I love those Storey Books!) and "Country Life: A Handbook for REalists and Dreamers" by Paul Heiney. Got out of there spending $28. My Herbal books were only $4 a piece. I was happy. :dance:

I did check out all of the websites posted and I am going to make a list of what everyone suggested and look it up at b&n online as well as amazon.

I did resist the urge to go to B&N today. I figured I had better quit while I was ahead. I didn't want to spend every last little dime I have saved in my "Book Collection" stash! Yes, I have a book collection cash stash! Saves me from going over my budget!

Michele

12. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Some of my favorites used in my Master Herbalist course are; Nutritional Herbology by Mark Pedersen, Today's Herbal Health by LouiseTenney, From the Shepherd's Purse by Max G. Barlow, Planetary Herbology by Michael Tierra, Advanced Treatise in Herbology by Edward E. Shook and The Encyclopedia of Natural Remedies by Louise Tenney. Marilyn, the farmer's wife... CNHP, MH