Herbal question about stress.

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Rockin'B, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

The only one I take now is Echinecea (sp?) for the immune system.

I'd like to know which are good for aiding in the fight against stress. As a futures trader, my job is pretty stressful at times and I'd like to know if there are good herbal regimens to add to the exercise etc.?

Thanks!

2. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Be careful with that Echinacea! Professional advice should be sought before using Echinacea medicinally. Do not use if suffering from HIV, lupus, thyroid problems, multiple sclerosis, tuberculosis, myasthenia gravis, diabetes, auto-immune diseases or when pregnant, or if allergic to daisies. Excessive does may cause a scratchy, tickling sensation in the throat, and occasionally nausea and dizziness. Echinacea may trigger attacks of hayfever or asthma in susceptible people.

Please see a professional doctor and/or herbalist before taking any of these remedies. Herbs can and do have unwanted side-effects, and there may be contraindications.

To heal the nervous system, prevent fatigue, eliminate hyperactivity, and calm emotions, take vitamin B6 and thiamine daily.

Drink a cup of Marjoram tea.

Drink an infusion of Scullcap flowering tops, alone or with a little Valerian root.

Drink a cup of St John’s Wort flowering tops tea.

Drink any of the following teas to relax the system and calm the nerves: Chamomile, Peppermint, Spearmint, Hops, Catnip, Horsetail, Marshmallow or Peach leaf.

Make a tea with 15g dried flowering tops of Heather and 400ml boiling water. Drink warm or cold in 4 doses during the day. If desired, add a little Agrimony, Sage or Horsetail. It acts as a mild sedative and can also be used to treat insomnia, rheumatism, gout, inflammation of the kidneys or bladder and to stimulate the appetite.

Infuse 2-3 teaspoons Lavender flowers in 400ml hot water. Drink as a tea every second day.

Rosemary tea is reputed to be good for nervous tension and especially good for tension headaches.

Cut 2 handfuls Valerian root into small pieces, and place them on a large clear glass container. Add one whole Clove, the grated orange rind of 1 Orange and a sprig of Rosemary. Pour 1 litre of dry white wine over the dry mixture. Seal the container tightly and allow to steep for one moon cycle (28 days). Then strain through gauze cloth, store in a bottle and seal tightly. Drink 1 liqueur glass three times daily. This is also an excellent treatment for feelings of faintness.

3. Abe R Crombie

Abe R Crombie Well-Known Member

Valerian root works well and gives a restfull sleep.I keep several jars on hand for winter blues....Good luck,
    Abe