Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the sun warms up some parts of the country, but not all, bugs start coming out. That means stings, itches, rashes, allergic reactions, and even, in some cases, diseases. This very strong and very effective bug spray will keep you and your loved ones bite and sting free in the coming months!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 Teaspoon Rose Geranium Essential Oil (ticks)
  • 1 Teaspoon Lavender Essential Oil (moths, fleas, and mosquitoes)
  • 1 Teaspoon Citronella Essential Oil (gnats, biting flies, and mosquitoes)
  • 1 Teaspoon Lemongrass Essential Oil (gnats, biting flies, and mosquitoes)
  • 1 Teaspoon Thyme Essential Oil (mosquitoes)
  • ½ Teaspoon Cedarwood Essential Oil (ticks)
  • ½ Teaspoon Eucalyptus Essential Oil (all stinging and biting bugs)
  • ½ Teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil (ants and mosquitoes)
  • ¼ Teaspoon Basil Essential Oil (biting flies and mosquitoes)
  • ¼ Teaspoon Clove Essential Oil (mosquitoes)
  • ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar or Witch Hazel
  • ¼ Cup Distilled Water
  • 8 Ounce Spray Bottle
  • Funnel
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Using the funnel, pour the Apple Cider Vinegar (or witch hazel) into the spray bottle.
  2. Pour in all the essential oils, using the funnel.
  3. With the funnel still in the top of the spray bottle, pour in the Distilled Water to top off the container.
  4. Screw on sprayer and shake well.
  5. Make sure to label this concoction.
To use, make sure you shake the bottle well. Apply liberally directly to any exposed skin every hour or two while outdoors. Again, this is a very strong, powerful bug spray, so be aware!

All the ingredients and supplies can be found through affiliate links on my blog. I use and recommend Starwest Botanicals. Feel free to peruse my website, where I do have some other recipes, some tips on wellness in general, and from there you can also purchase herbs and equipment you may require through my affiliate links. I do earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, from those purchases.

Oh! And don’t forget, I am not a licensed physician, so before beginning or changing any routines that can affect your health it is always a good idea to consult your doctor. If a rash appears on your skin, stop use immediately and consult a physician.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A bunch of natural recipes call for the use of vodka instead of apple cider vinegar, but if you already have any bites, scratches, or cuts, it is going to hurt a lot!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
So, how long does this last before reapplication is needed?
How oily is it?

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ACV or witchhazel creates a long lasting concoction that is not oily, provided you do shake before use. How long really is determined by which insect you are trying to repel. Most are a 5 to 6 hour lasting cycle, except with mosquitoes. If you are defending against those buggers, I recommend 3 hours between applications.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an expensive list!
The initial cost is high, as creating an essential oil is a very time-consuming and laborious process. But the end result is a very effective and highly potent essential oil. I typically purchase my essential oils (if i didn't make them myself!) is 4 oz. bottles. This ensures they will last a long time.
On a side note: a cheaper alternative, although not as effective, is a hydrosol. I just posted directions on how to make a hydrosol >>HERE<< . If using a hydrosol concoction bug spray, the application on your skin will be more frequent.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yarrow will repel insects
Yes, it does. It is a broad spectrum insect repellent. I have used it in conjunction with the other herbs, but found i just didn't quite like the scent it added in that application.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts