Herbal dewormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Christiaan, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Does anyone have any experience with Hoegger's Herbal Wormer? Does it work well enough to keep goats healthy? Does it break the life cycle so that re-infestation is reduced?
    Thanks.

2. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

We used it and we liked it...our only concern was that it contained wormwood, which lactating moms are supposed to avoid...why not lactatings does? We have used ivermectin, positive pellets, and eprinex as well, and since we are going to a fiber flock are considering switching back to Hoeggers...we had great success with it, and I'm not as impressed with the others...

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

there are different opinions on using herbal wormer. some are totally convinced that it works, others lost valuable stock because of parasite overload (herbal wormer not working).
    be at least aware that you have to do regular fecal check.

4. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

It probably depends a lot on the area you live in. Northern states that have a hard freeze won't have the parasite problem warmer southern states have. Drier areas will also have less then moist/wet areas. Also depends if you have pastures you can rotate. We have used both Hoeggers and Molly's herbal wormer. My goats prefer Molly's herbal wormer over Hoeggers probably because it contains black walnut. I worm once a month May through September.

We have always had zero fecal counts when using herbals, but we rotate between 4 pastures and we are in MI....gets pretty darn cold here.

Molly's wormer:

http://fiascofarm.com/herbs/wormer.htm#purchase

I only use the Formula #1 Herbal Wormwood Combination.

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree, whichever wormer you use, get a fecal to make sure it is working.