Herbal Book :

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by dogo, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

sorry I asked !

2. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Dogo, some quick corrections:

Scutellaria is spelled with two "L"'s.

Althought its use is completely acceptable it is not correct to state that the name Lamiacae is the name by which Labitae was formerly known. It is the conserved and more antiquated name for the Lamiaceae, the family name by which is more widely utilized among plant taxonomists since indicates a type genus of the family (Lamium) and carries the "aceae" ending which indicates the family rank.

Scutellaria et species literally means "Scutellaria and species." Get rid of the "et" leaving Scutellaria species as you had done before for when generally discussing a group of species of a particular genus.

3. caballoviejo

He He, I was going back and forth between posts and lit. sources AND POSTED TO THE WRONG THREAD. Duh! My response was supposed to be to the "Ozark Herbal Draft (Comments please)" thread.

4. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

Aha! Lucky I actually came across this. Good comments. It has been a bit since college botany and I am mostly a hobby botanist now. Also thanks for catching typos. Yes, the 'et' is unnecessary but widely used. I have the habit of copying it when not thinking.

5. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

6. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

OOps, now I ahve done it. AAAARGGHHHH!

7. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

Apologies to Dogo whose thread was hijacked...

Well, my intention here is that many things which people (of my age) were taught to find under "Labitae" are now classified under Lamiaceae (as with Cruciferae as well). If I drop the "formerly" is it more acceptable?

8. caballoviejo

Yes, both names are perfectly fine.