Herb Swap

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by june02bug, May 11, 2004.

1. june02bug

june02bug Well-Known Member

Anyone interested in doing an herb swap? It was nostalgia's idea and a great one too. Since most herbs can even be grown in your window sill. So what do you say, anyone interested?

Send at least 3 packages of seeds (home grown or store bought) to swap in a bubble mailer with return label. I would divide them evenly among those participating and repackage them in baggies in your envelope with your return label. Mail them so they will arrive by May 28th. I will sort and package them that weekend then mail them out on June 1st since that Monday is Memorial Day.

Dates have been changed to be here by the 4th and be mailed out on the 7th

Let me know you are interested here and as long as we have at least a few people we will go for it. Send me a PM with your name and I'll reply with my address.

*** I also posted at the other site ;) in case anyone there would like to join as well, maybe increase our variety a little ***

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know.

EDIT - Yes, please put user names on and/or in all packages.

2. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Me, me, me, sign me up. I will pm you for the address.

A helpful tidbit: Have them put their username on the envelope. I didn't have them to do that and that caused a wee bit of confusion for me. :haha:

Another thing? Will the seeds be seperated into individula packages, or mixed all together?

Thank you for arranging this. I could use some more variety of herbs. This is my first year growing herbs, so I am looking forward to this. :D

3. june02bug

They will be seperate. (Although a mix would be fun - I think most would prefer to know what they are planting with the herbs)

Since we just moved in December it will be our first year also. I have rosemary growing very well on the front deck. I also have seeds (no surprise there :haha: ) to be planted for a some herbs.. I have no idea what all I have.

4. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

I'm interested. My Main email is hsnrs@vtc.net as this forum gives me problems. Thanks. Narita

5. june02bug

Hank-Narita

YAY! :dance: I've sent you an email.

6. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds fun !!! Never had an herb garden...... I pm'ed ya !!

7. june02bug

Alright! We are getting started for sure. :dance: So far I have...

Nostalgia - rec'd seeds
    Hank-Narita - rec'd seeds
    Miz Mary - rec'd seeds
    Tallpines - rec'd seeds
    Evilbunny - rec'd seeds
    Trisha - MN - rec'd seeds
    Stuckinsd - rec'd seeds
    KD Batt (th) - rec'd seeds
    Chasin12hounds (th) - rec'd seeds
    Abbey_tor_acres - rec'd seeds
    Torch - rec'd seeds
    and me

(updated 6/5/04)

If your PM from me didn't come through just let me know. I will keep the list of people updated here. :cool:

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Add my name to the list, please.

9. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

:haha:

yeah yeah, me too, me too.

I have some plants I would include if I knew how many people sign up I could dig them and send them. Anyone want horseradish? Catnip?

I'd love to get some rosemary, :D nothing like a hint or two...giggle.

I will pm you with my regular email as a just in caser.

Da Bunny

10. june02bug

Evilbunny,
    Dh would like the horseradish.
    I should be able to root some rosemary is we don't get any seeds. I could also send some aloe vera babies if you need those.

I am also putting together some info on each herb that we get to send back with the seeds - to help those like me who haven't grown many herbs and some cool tidbits also. If anyone has any info to pass along or recipes or whatever I can organize copies, etc. when it all arrives.

11. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

I thought I could resist...but when I read about horseradish and aloe, I just couldn't contain myself! The trouble is this, the only seeds (homegrown) I have are some from Shabazin...horehound. But I live about 20 minutes away from Territorial's store, so if any of you wanted something specific, I could just go get a pack from them? On the round robin, I went up and got some acorn squash seeds, because a person after me wanted some. Would that be ok with you all?

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Well------
    I'm hoping for thyme, sage and oregeno.
    I still need to buy my seeds------will go to the Mennonite hardware store tommorrow.

13. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Sounds like fun... please add me to your list too. I'll send a PM.
    Are you sending plants or seeds? I have many different herbs
    so I'm happy to get in on this.

14. june02bug

The seeds are coming to me to be divided but plants should be sent directly between traders. I'm afraid they wouldn't make the round trip. :(

It was also suggested that we make a wanted/sent list so... whats funny is I want everything. :haha: I will also fill in with things I can find that aren't sent. I will add to the list as I recieve seeds and/or you guys can post what you are sending if you want.

***So far I have - ( no problem if we get more than one person sending the same stuff - that just means we each get more of it - which is never a bad thing :D )

Garlic Chives (white flower)
    Chives - (pink/purple flower)
    Parsley - extra triple curled and dark moss curled
    Sweet Basil
    Bouquet Dill
    Chia - Tarahumara
    English Thyme
    Summer Savory
    Rosemary (says zones 7-10)
    Mexican Tarragon (says zones 8-10)
    Epazote
    Cilantro/Coriander
    Parsley - Italian
    German Chamomile
    Sweet Marjoram
    Anise
    Sweet Fennel
    Bronze Fennel
    Dill - regular and long island mammoth
    Water cress
    Purple coneflower - Echinacea
    Feverfew
    Mrs. Burns Lemon Basil
    Purple Basil
    Mini Basil
    Nasturtiums
    Calendula
    Black Mustard
    Perilla - Shisho Red
    Giant Italian Parsley
    Marigold
    Mint
    Hyssop

(updated 6/5/04)

15. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

Please add me to the list. I have started am herb garden last year and it was really fun.

I don't have any seeds collected from last year except for dill, so I will need to buy seeds to swap. I think I may have cilantro seeds yet if I didn't plant them all this spring. The seeds are at home and I'm at work, so I'll have to check later.

I would love rosemary, but it is very hard to grow from seed and doesn't overwinter here, and as hard as I try, I can't seem to get it to survive inside in the winter either. German Chamomile is a favorite too, as I use alot of chammomile tea to water my seedlings with to keep the dreaded damping off disease away. Calendula is a pretty herb that I like. Borage is pretty too, although I don't really know what to do with it (any suggestions). Parsley would be appreciated also. I also love lavender. Well, I'll quit there. Anything that you can send me would be fine. I'll pm you with my address. stuck...

16. june02bug

Ok, I missed a day - rotten day Friday - and now look we have 11 people. We are all going to have great herb gardens. :dance:

As a side note I checked out an awesome book from our library -
    The Herbalist's Garden - A guided tour of 10 exceptional herb gardens - The people who grow them and the plants that inspire them by Shatoiya and Richard de la Tour. It is great... lots of good ideas and info. They have amazing gardens. It is a new book from Storey Books.

17. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I went herb shopping today. Here is what I will be sending:
    cilantro/coriander
    italian parsley
    chives

I will mail them out on Monday along with postage. Thank you for doing this swap. :)

18. evilbunny

My herb seeds are ready to go. I am sending

corriander
    dill
    purple coneflower (echineachia) however ya spell it
    Mini Basil (?)
    and German Chamomile

I bought the dill and corriander today, wish I had read the boards first and I could have bought something else.

:) Next time, teeheee

They will be on their way Monday morning.

Can hardly wait to see what we all get.

Are you going to mix all the seeds? I'd rather send you a bunch of envelops and have you set mine by each type. I use regular envelops since it seems all my bills come with envelops and I am too cheap to mail most things, especially since I go right by the places nearly every day. I can send a good stack of envelopes if you want. Guess I will wait until Tuesday to mail so I can see what you decide on the envelopes.

Da Bunny

19. evilbunny

P.S. If you want horseradish please pm me. I am sending them separate since they are not seeds and only sending to those who have the space for it. These do get large leaves and tend to take over an area.

20. june02bug

I will be sending them all in seperate envelopes. :)