Herb Selling Questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nomad, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't know for sure where to post this, so I put it here figuring it would get a good read. Since I already sell at a local flea market I was thinking I might try my hand at selling herbs in small pots. Maybe 2 1/2-3" pots. There are folks who sell shrubs and a couple early on that sell flower and veggie flats. But nobody sells herbs. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not sure what a little potted herb plant would sell for. Before I start ordering pots, etc I need to know the selling price and work backwards to see if I can make a buck. It seems the larger the plants, the higher the price. So any not sold right away can only get bigger...within reason and worth more. Also any suggestions on the most popular herbs with the fresh herb folks?

Thanks,

Nomad

2. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in buying living herbs that are used in making four-herb tea (Eassic). I would want to be able to pick/dry the leaves myself and make my own tea. I would also want information on how to make my own tea. I would be willing to pay $20-30 for them. Of course I don't know how difficult it would be to grow them so if it was more difficult than other herbs I might pay a little more. Let me know if you decide to do this. Thanks.

3. Nomad

Holy moly. Um do you have a list of the herbs needed for that tea? You have given me a good idea. I could add a little direction booklet to give the plants more perceived value. I intend to get started very soon, but I'll need to find the seed. I have suppliers for everything else. Thanks for a super idea.

Nomad

4. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

The four herbs are:

Burdock Root: (articum lappa)
    Has been studied by Hungarian and Japanese scientists
    for its antitumour activity. Burdock is one of the finest blood
    purifiers in the herbal system. It is classified as an alterative,
    diuretic and diaphoretic. It helps the kidneys to filter out
    impurities from the blood very quickly. It clears congestion
    in respiratory, lymphatic, urinary and circulatory systems.

Sheep Sorrel: (rumex acetosella)
    Sheep Sorrel is high in vitamins A, B complex, C, D, K and
    E and the minerals include significant levels of calcium, iron,
    silicon, magnesium, sulphur, zinc, manganese, iodine and
    copper. Sheep Sorrel also contains beta carotene and
    chlorophyll; citric, malic, oxalic, tannic and tartaric acids and
    it is rich in potassium oxalate.

Sorrel plants have been a folk remedy for cancer for centuries
    both in Europe and Asia, more recently in North America.
    Alleged to break down tumors and alleviate some chronic
    conditions and degenerative diseases, it is an astringent and
    diuretic. Has been used medicinally in Europe for centuries.

Slippery Elm Bark: (ulmus fulva)
    Extensively used by Native Americans for a wide
    assortment of ailments. Slippery elm bark contains, as its
    primary ingredient, a mucilage, as well as quantities of gallic
    acid, phenols, starches, sugars, vitamins A, B complex,
    C, K and P. It contains large amounts of calcium, magnesium,
    and sodium, as well as lesser amounts of chromium and
    selenium, and trace amounts of iron, phosphorous, silicon
    and zinc.

According to some herbalists, an antibiotic and anti-microbial
    effect has also been reported along with an ability to remove
    toxins from the body; therefore, it promotes faster healing of
    cuts, burns, ulcers and wounds. It is alleged to revitalize the
    entire body.

Turkey Rhubarb Root: (rheum palmatum)
    Has been used for its antitumor activity. It also is known
    to exert a cleansing action on the gut, removing debris.
    Turkey Rhubarb root contains vitamin A, many of the
    B complex, C, and P; calcium, chlorine, copper, iodine,
    iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium,
    silicon, sodium, sulfur, and zinc.

The rhubarb root exerts a gentle laxative action by
    stimulating the secretion of bile into the intestines. It also
    stimulates the gall duct to expel toxic waste matter, thus
    purging the body of waste bile and food. As a result, it is
    alleged that the liver is cleansed and chronic liver problems
    my be relieved.

I found this at: http://www.natureshealthcompany.com/esk.htm

If you do a search for Eassic/Four Herb tea you can find more information.

5. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Canadian Hero to many

I Was Canada's Cancer Nurse - The story of ESSIAC

Rene M Caisse R.N. 1888-1978

In the mid-twenties I was head nurse at the Sisters of Providence Hospital in a Northern Ontario town.

One day one of my nurses was bathing an elderly lady patient. I noticed that one breast was a mass of scar tissue, and asked about it. ‘' I came out from England nearly 30 years ago'‘ she told me. ‘'I joined my husband who was prospecting in the wilds of Northern Ontario. My right breast became sore and swollen, and very painful. My husband brought me to Toronto, and the doctors told me I had advanced cancer and my breast must be removed at once.

‘' Before we left camp a very old Indian medicine man had told me I had cancer, but he could cure it. I decided I'd just as soon try his remedy as to have my breast removed. One of my friends had died from breast surgery. Besides, we had no money.'‘

She and her husband returned to the mining camp, and the old Indian showed her certain herbs growing in the area, told her to make a tea from these herbs and to drink it every day.

She was nearly 80 years old when I saw her and there had been no recurrence of cancer.

I was much interested and wrote down the names of the herbs she had used. I knew that doctors threw up their hands when cancer was discovered in a patient: it was just the same as a death sentence, just about. I decided that if I should ever develop cancer, I would use this herb tea.

About a year later I was visiting an aged retired doctor whom I knew well. We were walking slowly about his garden when he took his cane and lifted a weed.

‘' Nurse Caisse,'‘ he told me, ‘'If people would use this weed there would be very little cancer in the world.'‘

He told me the name of the plant. It was one of the herbs my patient named as an ingredient of the Indian Medicine Man's tea!

A few months later I received word that my mother's only sister had been operated on in Brockville, Ontario. The doctors had found she had cancer of the stomach with a liver involvement, and gave her at the most six months to live.

I hastened to her and talked to her doctor. He was Dr. R.O. Fisher of Toronto, whom I knew well because I had nursed patients for him many times. I told him about my herb tea and asked his permission to try it under his observation, since there was apparently nothing more medical science could do for my aunt.

He consented quickly. I obtained the necessary herbs, with some difficulty, and made the tea.

My aunt lived for 21 years after being given up by the medical profession. There was no recurrence of cancer.

Dr. Fisher was so impressed he asked me to use the treatment on some of his other hopeless cancer cases. Other doctors heard about me from Dr.Fisher and asked me to treat patients for them after everything medical science had to offer had failed. They too were impressed with the results.

Several of these doctors asked me if I would be willing to use the treatment on an old man whose face was eaten away, and who was bleeding so badly the doctors said he could not live more than 10 days.

‘' We will not expect a miracle,'‘ they told me. ‘' Buy if your treatment can help this man in this stage of cancer, we will know you have discovered something the whole world needs desperately– a successful remedy for cancer.'‘

My treatment stopped the bleeding in 24 hours. He lived for six months with very little discomfort.

On the strength of what those doctors saw with their own eyes, eight of them signed a petition to the Department of National Health and Welfare at Ottawa, asking that I be given facilities to do independent research on my discovery. Their petition dated at Toronto on October 27, 1926, read as follows:

To Whom It May Concern: We the undersigned believe that the ‘'Treatment for Cancer'‘ given by Nurse R.M.Caisse can do no harm and that it relieves pain, will reduce the enlargement and will prolong life in hopeless cases. To the best of our knowledge, she has not been given a case to treat until everything in medical and surgical science has been tried without effect and even then she was able to show remarkable beneficial results on those cases at that late stage. We would be interested to see her given an opportunity to prove her work in a large way. To the best of our knowledge she has treated all cases free of any charge and has been carrying on this work over the period of the past two years. (Signed by the eight doctors)

I was joyful beyond words at this expression of confidence by such outstanding doctors regarding the benefits derived from my treatment. My joy was short-lived. Soon after receiving this petition, the Department of Health and Welfare sent two doctors from Ottawa to have me arrested for'‘practising medicine without a licence'‘.

This was the beginning of nearly 50 years of persecution by those in authority, from the Government to the medical profession, that I endured in trying to help those afflicted with cancer.

However, when these two doctors sent from Ottawa, found that I was working with nine of the most eminent physicians in Toronto, and was giving my treatment only at their request, and under their observation, they did not arrest me.

Dr.W.C.Arnold, one of the investigating doctors, became so interested in my treatment that he arranged to have me work on mice at the Christie Street Hospital Laboratories in Toronto, with Dr. Norich and Dr. Lockhead. I did so from 1928 through 1930. These mice were inoculated with Rous Sarcoma. I kept the mice alive 52 days, longer than anyone else had been able to do, and in later experiments with two other doctors, I kept the mice alive for 72 days with ESSIAC.

This was not my first clinical experience. I had previously converted Mother's basement into a laboratory, where I worked with doctors who were interested in my treatment. We found that on mice inoculated with human carcinoma, the growth regressed until it was no longer invading living tissue after nine days of ESSIAC treatments.

This was during the period when I was working on DR.Fisher's suggestion that the treatment could be made effective if given by injection, rather than in liquid form, as a tea. I started eliminating one substance and then another: finally when the protein content was eliminated, I found that the ingredients which stopped the malignancy growth could be given by inter-muscular injection without causing the reaction that had followed my first experiments with injecting mice. However, I found that the ingredients removed from the injection formula, which reduced the growth of cancer, were necessary to the treatment. These apparently carried off destroyed tissue and infections thrown off by the malignancy. By giving the inter-muscular injection in the forearm, to destroy the mass of the malignant cells, and giving the medicine orally to purify the blood, I got quicker results than when the medicine was all given orally, which was my original treatments until Dr.Fisher suggested further experiments and developing an injection that could be given without reaction.

I well remember the first injection of the medication in a human patient. Dr. Fisher called and said he had a patient from Lyons, New York, who had cancer of the throat and tongue. He wanted me to inject ESSIAC into the tongue. Well, I was nearly scared to death. And there was a violent reaction. The patient developed a severe chill; his tongue swelled so badly the doctor had to press it down with a spatula to let him breathe.

This lasted about twenty minutes. Then the swelling went down, the chill subsided, and the patient was all right,. The cancer stopped growing, the patient went home and lived quite comfortably for almost four years.

At the time I first used my treatment on terminal cancer cases or cancers that did not respond to approved treatment referred to me by the nine Toronto doctors– I was still nursing 12 hours a day, the customary work day for nurses then. I had only my two-hour rest period and my evenings to give to my research work and my treatments.

I decided to give up nursing to have more time for my research and treatment of patients. Doctors started sending patients to me at my apartment and I was treating about 30 every day.

I now felt I had some scientific evidence to present that would convince the medical profession my treatment had real merit. I made an appointment with Dr. Frederick Banting of the Banting Institute, Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, world famous for his discovery of insulin.

After reading my case notes, and examining pictures of the man with the face cancer before and after treatment, and x-rays of other cancers I had treated, he sat quietly for a few minutes staring into space.

‘'Miss Caisse,'‘ he finally said, turning to look me straight in the eyes, ‘'I will not say you have a cure for cancer. But you have more evidence of a beneficial treatment for cancer than anyone in the world.'‘

http://www.theoriginalessiac.com/

KC~

6. Nomad

Thanks for the information. I had in my mind little pots of basil, mint, etc. Things that are commonly used in kitchens. Maybe I need to rethink this a bit.

Nomad

7. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

If I were doing what you have in mind, I would start with thyme, parsley, greek oregano, basil, chives, sage, mint--just check out a recipe book to get the idea. They are called the culinary herbs.

Then I would proceed to a variety of the different kinds of thymes, basil, sage mints. You will need to see how they sell. I would use all natural fertilizers and emphasize that. Don't use the word "organic" until you are certified.

Initially, you will want to start with plugs and/or seed. Later, you can take cuttings from "mother" plants, thereby cutting down on the cost. You should keep your eye out for some clever pots that would add to the saleability of your herbs. The box stores have herbs in 2-3" pots for about $1.50. If you can upgrade the size and the container, you should be able to mark them up some. A little raffia and a bright piece of ribbon upgrades it a little more.

I used to visit all the thrift stores for interesting pots, food containers, baskets, etc. to grow some of the plants as a group. There is so much you can do. Go for it. I think growing the herbs in Essaic would be OK, but I would NOT get into what the teas might accomplish. There are some great books out that could be used for reference and could be on your counter, but really really steer away from anything that could be interpreted as "medical" advice. You can use all the cooking recipes you want, you can make tea mixtures, you can make ethnic mixes for cooking. You can make soaps with herbs. You can go to publishers and find out their quantity prices are and sell some of the popular books.

Once you get started, you can go any direction. You might want to get catalogs to see how herbs are marketed. The ultimate is the Herb Farm in Fall City, WA which started out just as you propose and today, not only sells herbs, but has a very famous and popular restaurant that only takes reservations one day a year. I think they have a website.

Good luck on your venture.....

8. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I basically agree with 3girls. In addition: In our nursery we sell perennial herbs in 1 quart containers for $2.50-$3.00. Annuals can go for less if they are still plug size (@$1.00), but once they grow - up goes the price. In perennial herbs in gallon pots are $6-7 each. You can't say organic , but you can say "pesticide free". Stick to culinary and fragrant herbs, advertising medicinal herbs will lead to people asking for your advice which can lead to trouble. Make sure everything is well watered before you bring it to market, limp plants don't sell. Have lot's of lavender, basil, rosemary and lemon thyme - all best sellers. Remember many herbs have to done from cuttings, they will not come true from seed.