Herb Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by john#4, May 15, 2005.

1. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Herb question

Where I am we can’t have a garden. I have a large window that can’t open. Sun for about 2-3 hours in morning, bur bright light rest of day.
    What herbs, eatables can I grow there?
    John#4

2. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

A lot of herbs can be grown in pots indoors.... rosemary, catnip, chives, mints, basil, mugwort, tarragon, meadowsweet, motherwort, lungwort, stevia, borage, lovage, goldenseal, let's see, how many pots were you thinking of?
    I've grown those cherry maters indoors, pepper plants, and a couple other "small plant" veggies. How much room do you have?

Kaza

3. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Kaza,

I know a lot of herbs can grow indoors. But what is the since of planting a dozen if only one or two will grow with the light I have?
    This is what I was hopping for an answer on.
    John#4

4. Kazahleenah

How much space do you have by the window?
    One medium sized pot of chives gets me through the winter just fine... not enough to store, but typically enough to use fresh.

5. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Kaza,
    The window will have a kitchen table placed in front of it. The window is high enough that good strong light will hit the back of it.
    As I said it will only get sun for only 2-3 hours in the morning.
    John#4

6. Kazahleenah

Well, Chives are rather small and non space consuming, you could start there. Maybe a pepper plant, but since space (and sun) is so limited... hmmm... will have to ponder this. Perhaps one of those window boxes with 2-3 diffrent herbs would be the way I'd go.

If it were me I'd try:
    Oregano... (info on it: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_august_3_marjoram.asp )

Chives... (info on it:http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_june_3_chives.asp )

Thyme... (info on it: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_december_3_thyme.asp )

Now, that site says the UK.. but pot gardening is the same. Well drained soil, not real damp, and as much sun as you can manage to give them. Even when the light is not direct, they will gather it. It's worth a shot though!!
    Best of luck, let me know what you decide and how it goes :D

Kaza

7. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Kaza,
    I thank you for the help. I will give them a try.
    I tried to get on HT yesterday but they were down.
    John#4

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

A bit of mint (any variety really) or lemon balm would probably grow well there too. They are fairly indestructable and seem to flourish in any light! If there is a veggie that you would especially like to have, perhaps you could find a small grow light. Best of luck!

9. karsan

karsan Well-Known Member

I have grown snow peas indoors, in flower pots, starting in February, harvesting in April. In winter here in Sweden there really is not very much light.

karsan

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

The trouble with herbs is that most want pretty bright lights.

Borage, lemon balm, tarragon, verbena are some that can handle shade. I did find a site that talks about herbs that will grow in a shady location. Obviously you will want herbs that also do well in pots.

http://www.hillgardens.com/herbshade.htm