Herb Planting Dates??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by WV Rebel, Jun 23, 2004.

1. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

TP,

Can you or anyone else tell me about what herbs to plant now in Zone 7? I have bought about $93 worth of seed, from Anise to Thyme.

(The reason for the price difference is that I changed my order from Russian Terragon to FRENCH Tarragon, because my friend that grows it says the Russian is like a weed when planted out).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

www.ivygarth.com

http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v154/Anonymouseketeer/IVY.jpg

(Changed from IMG to URL to preserve space and straighten up the screen!)

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Rebel-----
    I am a very amateur gardener who learns everyday from this site--------hopefully one of the EXPERIENCED gardeners will help you with your question.

My--oh--My---------
    I envy you all those seeds!

3. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

You could plant the dill now.
    the basil as well
    oregano is a quick germinator and you could start that now.

Rosemary is a pain to start from seed and takes a long time.
    I'd try germinating that late next winter and see if it takes and then it should be established enough to set out next spring. Once you get a few plants established, start from cuttings.

For the mints- I'd start them now, only because mint isn't often true from seed. Taste it before you pot out. Don't forget to keep mint in its own pot otherwise it will take over. Again, you can start from cuttings.

Arugala is probably too late for you, but you could sow in late august for a fall crop- store seeds in refrigerator for better germination.

Never tried thyme from seed or cuttings.

Good luck

4. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

I have a Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin with planting guideline charts. It's mainly a Spring guideline.

noteworthy:
    Seeds that NEED cool temperatures (55 degrees) to germinate
    Rosemary, chamomile, thyme (mother of thyme)
    Dill
    needs light to germinate

Sowing seed
    ie.
    Dill 4-6 weeks before last frost
    Thyme 4-6 weeks before last frost
    Chives 4-6 weeks before last frost (prefers cool weather)

Caraway late Fall
    This may help->
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8110.html

and
    Hardiness/winterizing chart
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8112.html

5. WV Rebel

Thanks all. My goal is to get some plants ready for Farmers' Market for sale. By the time I get done squinting at all those tiny little seed through my magnifier visor, I'll probably wish I'd never started. This is my first time at trying herbs. Maybe the library has a "Herbs for Dummies" book!
    :haha: :haha: :haha:

In the meantime I have printed out y'all's instructions.

6. WV Rebel

BTW, I'm not so concerned about the weather, except if it may be too hot for some of these. Evidently some will be harder to start in the heat, especially ones that like it at 55°. Best I can do is 73° inside in the A/C.

7. Whatever you plant, if it's outside, water it daily until the seedlings have a few sets of leaves. It's mighty hot most days now.

You could also start at least the basil and thyme inside in sunny window or a light setup, in moist medium. Chives, too. Remove transparent cover when germination occurs. It's so hot outside now, I'd wait until the seedlings are pretty big before setting them outside to harden off and transplant. You could check the seed starting forum at www.gardenweb.com for tips.

My dill has already gone to seed outside.

Tarragon is very hard to start from seed. You may need to get a plant division from a friend or a garden center. I haven't tried rooting it to propagate, but I've got some growing in a pot outside that's doing pretty well; bought it a few weeks ago and put it on the porch steps. I started my thyme and basil inside in March and put them out in May; started some outside in May and all are doing pretty well. Next year you might try that schedule. Start herbs from seed inside in March; "harden off" and plant outside in May, or start from seed outside in May (but you will need to keep the seeds moist more carefully outside until the seedlings get big enough to handle a day or two without water).

Good luck!