Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had this happen before. But one of my hens hatched an egg and has a baby. Probably about 3 weeks old now. She is very protective of the baby and its just fine. But she has made enemy's with several other hens. Now she has taken up in my garden and avoids the rest of the flock. She won't roost with them any more. I tried kicking her out of the garden and I went back tonight and I guess she jumped the fence, because there she is with the baby. Any time she is mixed with the other hens they fight. To the point she is exhausted and I break it up.

Any one had this problem. I really want my garden back! They are tearing it up.

Should I just lock them in the coop for a day and let them work it out?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldn't lock them in the coop. She'll fight to the death for her chick. Depending on the size of your coop, you can try sectioning off some for momma and baby until the baby doesn't have to depend on mamma as much. By then, the others will probably be more accepting of the baby, and momma will not have to fight them off. If you don't have room in the coop to section off an area, you can try building a box, covering it with chicken wire, and placing it in the coop. Both of these methods allow the chickens get used to a newest member without everyone fighting.

I assume you have a rooster. DO NOT turn your back on him and stay clear of him. Roosters can become very nasty when there are babies. A calm rooster otherwise, he just might easily attack you if he perceives you as a threat to the baby.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
I have never had this happen before. But one of my hens hatched an egg and has a baby. Probably about 3 weeks old now. She is very protective of the baby and its just fine. But she has made enemy's with several other hens. Now she has taken up in my garden and avoids the rest of the flock. She won't roost with them any more. I tried kicking her out of the garden and I went back tonight and I guess she jumped the fence, because there she is with the baby. Any time she is mixed with the other hens they fight. To the point she is exhausted and I break it up.

Any one had this problem. I really want my garden back! They are tearing it up.

Should I just lock them in the coop for a day and let them work it out?
This is the very reason I move ALL my setting hen to a private pen----so she can hatch her eggs, and get the chicks a few weeks old without having to fight etc. I then take the chicks away from her at night----give her a few days to get over it all, then put her back in with the other chickens.

I would suggest you catch her--pen her---separate her from the chick if you want----let her get over the protecting stage, them re-introduce her to the flock. Might take weeks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might give the chick another week. Let him get a bit bigger, then I think I will put him in with the others and separate her out. Sounds like a plan. The chick gets along fine with the other hens. Just momma has the problem. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a broodie that surprised me with one chick two weeks ago. I always keep them separate from the others, she IS fierce when it comes to her babies and she doesn't need the added stress.

Fortunately I have a broodie pen attached to the coop and that's where she stays until she's done with it...but DO keep her and the chick away from the others. And, yes, if they can see her and the chick thru wire for the duration, it'll be much better for them both when the get back in to circulation.

I sooooo didn't want any more chicks until spring but i was blessed with a little buff cutie.

·
Registered
214 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts