Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of you know that my grandmother recently got me a roster as a supris I don’t know what breed he is http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livestock-forums/poultry/522775-what-breed-rooster.html or how old but I would guess no more then a year and most likely less. When I first got him he was picking on the hens, showing he was dominate and over all settling in well. But now my 2 biggest girls (who are much larger then him) have started pulling out his tail feathers. I want to know is this happening because of how young he is and will it stop when he gets older, or is the problem that he is a smaller and lighter breed?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Probably a combination of both. Their behavior changes depending on the time of year too. He looks like a bantam breed to me.

·
Lost in the Wiregrass
8,857 Posts
He could be moulting. Or they could need more protien. Probably both. Up their protien to around the 20% range at least an see if that helps. If he is moulting it will help him grow new feathers faster. His size doesn't matter. I have had tiny bantam roosters take control of a flock of full size hens.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking that at 1st but the tail feathers have V shaped bits taken of of them that i was told is a sine of then being pulled out by another chicken

ps. his feathers are growing back in nicely

1 - 4 of 4 Posts