Homesteading Forum banner

hemp shoes

832 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  BCR 
#1 ·
i'm in need of new pair of shoes. i found a pair online that are 100% hemp. has anybody ever had shoes like this? do you know if they last a long time or what? any info is appreciated, thanks!

this is the site if anybodys interested

http://www.greenhome.com/products/apparel/footwear/109166/

#6 ·
don't know about the shoes, but I love cotton/hemp fabric, very durable and soft. only way to really know for sure is to buy and hope for the best :D...then report back and let us know.

#7 ·
Ive never seen shoes like these, but back in the 1970s I once had a pair of shoes woven from thick hemp cord. Imagine wooden dutch shoes woven like baskets and you get the idea. I wore them all summer and they were the coolest most comfortable shoes I ever owned. Granted my shoes dont get much wear. :rolleyes: ;) I got them at Goodwill but a european lady I knew said they were common summer shoes all over Europe particularly for children, as they were dirt cheap and hard wearing. I've never seen another pair but sure
would love to find some.

#8 ·
Well, I got a pair of hemp hiking boots a few years ago, and they were awful. I wore them around town for literally a couple of days (nothing heavy-duty) trying to break them in before actually wearing them hiking, and the hemp around where my toes bend started to fray, and the boots developed holes, just like that.

Maybe it differs from one manufacturer to another, but I've never given hemp shoes a second chance after that, so I don't know...

#9 ·
$75 for cloth boots? Nah, not for me. I can buy two pair of goretex or leather boots for that price. My recent purchase of gore-tex lined hiking boots with vibram soles was $30, so you can see why hemp treated with some spray doesn't seem very waterproof to me. Briars in my area would tear them up in no time, which is why I have a leather pair of hiking boots as well. The value just doesn't seem to be there....unless they are for looks, then have at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.