Hemlock prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Irish Pixie, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea how much Eastern Hemlock logs are selling for? Is it sold by board foot, or tonnage? We have a logger interested in them and need to get an idea of what they're worth. There are some huge hemlock on our hill.

I know that it's worth much less than hardwood. I've never understood that tho. It's great stuff to build with, our barn is over a 100 years old made entirely of hemlock, and is in excellent shape.

Also, there are hand hewn barn beams in our haymow (from an older barn that was on the property) are they worth anything? They look good, no obvious punky spots.

Thank you for your help.

Stacy in NY

2. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Thank you, Agmantoo. I knew that this information was out there somewhere but I googled my heart out and couldn't find it.

Stacy in NY

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You are most welcome. You are not in the timber business and I am! We travel on different paths. :)

4. jfhunt

jfhunt Guest

You should have a forester put it out to bid or you could have problems with high-grading or short-counting. Be carefull of letting someone cut it on "shares".
    I know from first-hand experience. Both times I had my property logged, I doubled the estimate that I was quoted by a logger who came to me when I had the contract handled by a forester. The forester will likely charge 10% to mark and bid-out and another 5% to manage the contract.

John in Central NY