helpppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mike0331, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mike0331

mike0331 Member

i have a 2 year old goat nanny she is lathargic,wont eat ,ears dropped.and has bloted

2. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

Have you checked for a fever? Any diarrhea? Trouble peeing? What has she been eating..was she in a new area to graze?

3. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

I would give her baking soda, massage her rumen, and make her walk. Did she have more grain than usual ?

Massaging her rumen to make her belch will release the gas that is trapped and causing the bloat. Keep massaging and walking until she belches and is chewing her cud normally. The gas must be released from her stomach or the contents of the rumen will go stagnant and cause more problems.

Milk of Magnesia (3-4 ounces) can be given as well to stimulate contractions and empty the contents of the rumen. This would probably give her diarhea, but poop will go back to normal in couple days.

Keep us posted to her progress.

4. mike0331

mike0331 Member

thanks on my way

5. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

Ok so she has bloated.

Make sure to keep up and and goin walking will help.

Thermabloat is the best stuff as far as I am concerned when it comes to goats if she is not better tomorrow go in search of this, it could me life or death for you goat, of course you will have to drench her but you should see massive results. If you don't have that then try to get the baking soda down her. It will act like a tum and ease the pressure. Or you can use a little karo syrup you can apply this to the roof of her mouth. She will also need so Probios, this will keep all the good bacteria and make sure to keep her rumenting.

Have you seen you use the bathroom? If not you need to make a enema with dish soap/water.

Take her temp and listen to her stomache. Does it sound like it is moving.

Please keep us posted on her.

6. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

How is she doing? After all the great suggestions she should be better. Bloat is something you want to catch early elsewise it can be fatal. One of the main things to do with bloat is to keep them walking and up, otherwise they bloat worse, it also gets the mineral oil, milk of mag, etc going in their systems to poop out the clog. Probios is also important, and I want to add, so is giving an anit-biotic after. Our vet perscribed penacillain after our buck got bloat (that was yrs ago) and said it was to help infection. You see that stuff backs up and causes problems. He also said to eat lots of yogurt, which works like probios.

Now I know why he did. This may sound strange to ya'll but the problems I have had with my stomach result in bloat, so I have frequent dates with a bottle of Milk o Magnesia until they can solve it. The dr prescribed an anti biotic because I also had a stomach infection. Of course, my mind is thinking when he did this, "Hey, thats what the vet did for my buck" But I would never have told him that, he would ahve thought me insane! Although I did mention that we had a bottle of Milk o Magnesia in the barn and used it for bloat in the goats. He said, "Well it works good for humans too!"

Just my musings here.

Bernice