Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...this is the time when hormones are kicking in and the pups are trying to struggle for being top over the others and some of the adults are not going for it. I have it arranged so dogs that get along are kennel buddies....for now. Things get rather complicated when trying to figure out who to bring up for house time...that means dogs need juggled around and sometimes it does not work out that everyone will get a kennel buddy they get along with, so the dog that would have gotten house time, can't this time because I would be forced to kennel 2 dogs that do not get along together. I refuse to kennel the dogs separately because they need companionship and in the winter, someone to snuggle up with. Normally its not an issue because I rarely keep more than 2 pups from a litter....but with 4 pups from the last litter still here, it is getting really difficult....especially when most of the boys are either blue, sable merle or homozygous merle (since Justin;s pup is still here)...that poor pup...though he is a big boy most of the dogs/pups challenge him. I only have one dog I can put him in with safely (I refuse to put him in with any blue bitches just in case someone comes into season without me noticing). Is there a way to help these guys settle thier differences when they are on kennel time?
Forgot to add...when the ones that do not get along are on house time, things are fine...no issues at all, even when they are in the yard to potty and play....its just when they are on kennel time together.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
You must be very patient.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sage wisdom Maura?

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
LOL, I was going to suggest tranquilizers..... for you, until the dogs grow out of it! sorry, couldn't resist.

Why isn't the homozygous male neutered yet? Do you have any three dogs who get on well enough they can hang together on occasion? Maybe the other three pups? Not as an all-the-time thing (I understand they'd be crowded), but every once in a while it would take some juggling pressure off.

My sympathy, I know it's harder in winter when we have to flog ourselves to make sure the dogs get worn out.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL Otter...you have some?

The homozygous boy is not neutered yet because I plan to use him in the future with a normal eyed tri girl if he passes his health screenings. He turned out to be the best of the litter (go figure) and nicer than his sire and dam. It was not going to be an issue with him staying here as he was SUPPOSED to be living with my son and his wife...but then wife moved into a place that did not accept large dogs...and then in with her mother. Now that DS is back, they are planning on moving...hopefully before the baby is born in March.
No, the puppies do not get along for the most part. The ***** lives up to her name, so she is kept with another ***** that she gets along with- she also gets along with males, but I have no plans to breed her until she is at least 3 yrs old and has passed health screening. The young males are all competing as to who will be top dog. As far as putting 3 dogs in one run, there is enough room as my runs are large, but never tried it. Not sure if that would change the dynamics and cause fighting or not. I would put a dog in the exercise/catch pen area, but then they would not have access to the building. That would work in mild weather with a dogloo, but not in winter. I really wish my son would get moving so I have more flexibility.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Sorry, thinking back it was the girl HM who had the health problems. When I posted I thought it was the male and was confused for a moment.

That is a rough one, when the pups are fighting each other. Usually they want to try and test the older males, who get annoyed and put them in their place, which is bad enough. But if they're going after each other; there's no blood like bad blood the old saying goes. Could you encourage them to buddy up with an older male or retired female? Someone who might model for them a less assertive behavior pattern. What I'm thinking is a teen boy is different around other teen boys then he is around Grandma.

Hope you find a solution!

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
All out of sage, but a little lavender will help soothe you.

I ended up with two foster dogs at the same time a little while ago. So, three black and white unneutered males. They all got along fine. Just lucky. I was just thinking how glad I am that it wasn't me trying to juggle those teenagers.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I have 6 dogs and they refuse to snuggle with each other so consider yourself lucky. They all refuse to eat out of the food bowl but they will play with each other. They all sleep seperately on their own. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NP...yes, it was the girl that was mostly blind and partly deaf. Even though it would not have been passed to her pups as it is due to the doubling of the merle gene, was not going there. She has been placed...actually got an update today. She had her first outting with the boy scouts troop (who are mentally and/or physically challenged) and had a wonderful time. She is now going up and down stairs confidently and even allowed on the furniture....so takes full advantage of that and snuggles with the hubby to watch tv. She has learned her way around thier home and office and gets around wonderfully in both places.
Yes, I do have each of them in with another adult and they get along fine with that adult, so its not all dogs they are challenging. For instance the ***** pup I kept gets along with Dot. But I can't put her in with her mom, Crystal or Venus, or she will challenge. Edan can go in with any of the male pups or other males except for Harrison. He is my only truly flexible one. Harrison is top dog...I don't kennel him with any males, so he either has to be alone or with a *****. Venus gets along with all the bitches except her daughter (Dot) and the ***** pup. The rescue *****, I won't put her in with any bitches. They get along fine for a while, but then out of the blue there will be a fight and she will tear them up. She took a chunk out of Venus' leg one time. For now I think I am just going to have to pitch the rotation schedule and bring up each pair. It will mean that someone is going to have to wait longer for house time than normal, but I think it is my only option right now. I started that today and brought up Randy and the rescue. Then next time I will bring up the next pair and so on. DH put Cloudy in with Tanner today when he brought down Edan and Crystal. I have not heard any commotion as of yet. So crossing fingers that at least these 2 are working things out. If they start up I will go out and do some switching around again. I just wish they would grow up and get it settled and things can go back to normal. I can deal with one top dog and one top *****, but 6 trying to be top dog...its driving me crazy.

Sorry, thinking back it was the girl HM who had the health problems. When I posted I thought it was the male and was confused for a moment.

That is a rough one, when the pups are fighting each other. Usually they want to try and test the older males, who get annoyed and put them in their place, which is bad enough. But if they're going after each other; there's no blood like bad blood the old saying goes. Could you encourage them to buddy up with an older male or retired female? Someone who might model for them a less assertive behavior pattern. What I'm thinking is a teen boy is different around other teen boys then he is around Grandma.

Hope you find a solution!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really? Are they all young? Now I don't feed anyone together. I will either feed them 20 ft away in corners or with one inside with door closed and one outside or both in crates to eat. No one shares bowls here. But I do have dogs that want to sleep together even on house time. At bed time I have to direct which dog goes to which crate or they both go for one and I have to order one out as the crate is not big enough for 2 to be comfy.

I have 6 dogs and they refuse to snuggle with each other so consider yourself lucky. They all refuse to eat out of the food bowl but they will play with each other. They all sleep seperately on their own. Can't help you there.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose telling them to stick their nose in the corner and not budge won't help?

Gar. Maybe Rescue Remedy?
That would last until I walked away. LOL Not sure on the RR...tried that with the rescue before and no effect. Worth a shot though.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Nope. One is 8 years old and best friend with the deaf/blind Aussie who's 6. I think those two would snuggle together if given the opporunity but the 8 year old is a lab mix who is like a bull in a china shop. He's so clumsy! The 3rd one is 9. Mine is 4 and the deaf husky/german shepherd mix is 9 or 10 months old. The pit bull is maybe a month younger. Oddly enough those two youngsters haven't been fixed and not gone into heat the whole time they've been here and I've had the deaf pup since she was 4 weeks old. I plan to spay the deaf pup and place her elsewhere. The pit bull is going to a working home on the 31st where she'll be a house pet and also catch hogs..she's taking place of the older pit bull who is still catching hogs daily at the age of 7 years old which is actually rare for a catch dog. They usually die less in less than 2 to 3 years of age which tells me she is quite a smart catch dog or her owners are really quick at helping her contain the wild hogs. I just will have to resist buying or getting a puppy at the hog dog baying contest.....will be meeting her new owners at the baying. Haven't been to one in over 3 years and will be camping out at the state park. Am excited!

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bitches usually have thier first season at around 10-12 months old. I know many will start earlier, but I have only had one that came in at 7 months and that was just spotting without full swelling. You know Ted, they will probably come into season next week now that you have noticed :)
My older females tend to be the biggest snugglers. Probably maternal instincts. My young females usually live up to thier gender with other females. Males, will snuggle with females, but only the low male will snuggle with another male.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update...things are settling down. I now only have 2 males that are still getting into it now. I will be happy when this is over. Good news is that they all have good bite inhibition and no one gets injured....mostly a lot of racket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts