Help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wilbursmommy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Just went outside to see how much feed I had left. Found out one of my females had babies. 8 still alive. Didnt know she was pregnant. (Just got her) I put a box in there with her and some hay. Some of the babies had ants on them. Got them off and put babies in the box. Is there something else I should do? I have some shavings we use for the hamster. Should I put some in there? She has not pulled out any hair. Probably her first litter. She was full grown when I got her.

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...congrats on the kits.....I would look for the ant trail and try to get rid of them...now as far as the hair goes...is she inside or out?...is it hot where she is...I have had rabbits that didnt pull hair late in summer[my cages are all outdoors] the nest boxes were lined with hay and all did fine...had others pull hair before night fall....so i would wait and see what she does......good luck...dale anne

3. Wilbursmommy

Well, 4 of the kits died. The other 4 are very wiggly and active. I think the dead ones had just been stung too many times. There doesn't seem to be any more ants in the hutch. Fire ants are attracted to blood. Anything born or hatched here is in peril. Georgia seems to be just one big ant colony these days. It is hot here today. In the 90's. The nest box is in a shaded area. I gave the mama some carrots and mixed spring greens as well as her pellets. She is hopping in and out of the box, so I guess she is taking care of them. Will check on them every hour and just watch now.

4. kisota

kisota Active Member

Dear Wilbersmommy,
    The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago with a NZW Doe. I was gone and my Grandaughter was taking care of the rabbits. She called her Mom and Dad and they came over and there was bunnies all over the ground and blood everywhere. They put a nest box in with her, with new straw in it and placed the little ones in the box. The Doe took to them right away and cleaned them up. I came home 2 days later, and have 11 new kits, all doing fine. Thier eyes are open now and they are starting to run around. I think you will be fine, just let her take care of them and it is probably to hot to pull hair. Also, feed Alfalfa Cubes, instead of carrots and greens, or the Doe will get Diareia. You can get the cubes at a feed store, they are for horses, but wonderful for Rabbits and not near as messy. Hope this helps and lots of luck.

Kisota

5. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

if you feed carrots and other greens as part of the rabbits usual diet, they don't get loose stools... that only happens when you change their diet suddenly.
    We raise flemish giants on carrots, apples, sunflower seeds, corn, oatmeal and romaine letuce in the winter and in the summer fresh greens and clover instead of the letuce and have never had loose stools. Giving the rabbits an afternoon snack of fresh vegies and fruit keeps the kids interested in them and also gets the kids to check the waterers twice a day. We have several 4H champions in our barn :)

don't change the does diet, if she hasn't had the alfa cubes before, don't add them now... after the kits are weaned, slowly ad it to their diet.

good luck!

6. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Take the doe and pull fur our around her nipples... if she hasn't pulled any yet. You will have to yank a bit but it is ok, she'd should have done it.

About the ants... I assume you have legs on the cages or hutch? Get large cans or buckets, large enough to get the legs into with space between the legs and the edge of the bucket. Ants are able to build bridges with their bodies.

Now once you have done this fill the container with water.. ants hate water. The problem with water is that it will evaporate. To prevent this... pour a little oil, cooking, car ??? oil on top. This will keep the water locked in <smile>

Now you no longer have a problem with ants getting to the rabbits.

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

You can yank it on their backs too, and it's probably not as sensitive. Once you get one piece out, the rest around it comes out easier. Greens CAN give loose stools and cause the bunnies to die, even if they are used to it. If you have rabbits die with diahreeah, that is not normal. That being said, be careful, give them a strand or two of carrot greens or parsley, those are high vitamin but not high water content, and are good for them. NEVER lost a rabbit this way, but did when we gave them lettuce, and no, we didn't have coccidiosis, we sent them to a lab to check, totally clean, and they were used to this stuff.

Shavings are GREAT!! The best thing you can use, as long as they aren't "dusty".

8. Wilbursmommy

Thanks for all the info everyone! Update on the babies: They are doing great and their eyes are open now. Momma has done a great job! She pulled her own fur out for them on the second day. Color como is funny. Momma is white with black spots, babies are black-2 and gray/brown-2. Soon as they are old enough to leave momma, I'm going to move all hutches to garden area so I don't have to haul rabbit poo back and forth.