Help!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BubbleTea, Apr 4, 2005.

1. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

I noticed a 4 weeks ago on one of my does a small lump on her jaw...I watched it closely to make sure it did not grow....but tonight when I checked on my goaties, the growth almost has doubled in size and is very noticeable if you look at her face. It has grown from about the size of a nickel to the size of a half dollar....does any one know what this could be?? :waa: :confused:

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

a cyst?...is it hard like a ball inside or ummm squishy for a lack of a better word...vicky in tx should be able to tell ya how to tend to this if a cyst...I have never had this come up in my herd ,yself but know ya can give meds.....i will be looking forward to vicky's post and file it away under goat emergency....Dale Anne

3. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

It's hard...and she does NOT like me to touch it.

4. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Please read up on CL (caseous lymphotis)(sp?). From what I understand, it is very contageious-to people too!!! If it is, the key is not to let the contents burst on you or on the ground-it can live for years in the ground. There is another post explaining CL on this list I think. I don't want to panic you but if it were me I'd rather be safe than sorry. Seperate this goat from the others until you can figure out what it is. A culture test by a vet would tell if it were CL.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pipe in here soon.

5. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Is the only option for ruling out/diagnosing CL calling a vet? Or could it be another type of abcess?

6. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

The goat could have gotten bumped real hard and thus making a puss type pocket that can be absorbed later.

First thing that came to my mind is what dale anne said: CL

Better to be safe than sorry. Especially with CL. We've lanced a CL lump before. Kinda was like those people that wear those containment suits in high risk situations. Covered from head to toe and had to be sure it didn't get on anything because it stays around for a long time being contagious even if the goo gets on the ground, it too holds the bacteria.

I've been told of a woman that contracted CL. Wasn't a nice story.

I also had a friend that their goat had a lump which I immediately flag CL but it turned out to be an abcess from getting bumped real hard from another goat. CL is a major thing and that's why it pops in your mind so quick.

Definitely talk to your vet immediately as it seems it is just growing way too fast.

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Is it right along her jaw line? If so maybe she has a bad tooth or got a grass seed in her gums that festered? That happened with one of my does.

MotherClucker

8. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

sorry to tell you, but yes the first thing i would suspect is CL , take her to the vet or take a sample of the yuckies to the vet, get it tested,
    i have had a doe get hit hard too and she developed a lump , but it was an abscess from the bruise,
    get her alone, and take care of it, yes this should be a red flag situation , and a little caution is in order

9. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

also need to check the salivary glands and make sure none of them are clogged...

10. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

it is right along the jaw line....and it is almost directly under her eye. On all the pictures and info I have gotten it would be under her ear if it was CL....is that right?
    How would I be able to check her salivary glands? And see if she has a bad tooth?

11. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I am not sure..hmmm...You could take a sample to the vet to see. Does it have a bad smell to it? CL should never have a bad smell. I am guessing its a bad tooth or a grass seed but one can't be to careful. CL ir almost always found on the lymph nodes which can be behind the ears...or basicly where the lymph nodes are.

MotherClucker

12. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Is she having trouble eating or chewing? Does it seem painful when she eats her food? You can call the vet and ask if you can syringe some of the fluid from the cyst and bring it in to be analyzed. Not sure how fresh it has to be or if it has to be kept cold or any of that. Sometimes we just have to pay that vet to get an answer especially if it could be something like CL It could be more costly down the line if it isn't acurately diagnosed quickly. CL is highly contageous to your other goats and to you.

13. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. It under the skin, not open. A vet it going to take a look at her Friday....he is going to asperate the lump and culture it. I will let you know what happens.

14. BubbleTea

BubbleTea Active Member

Got the results back from the vet....

NEGATIVE FOR CL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Our vet thinks it is from bumping around with other goats....
    Thanks for everyones help.... :)

15. magwa

magwa Silkie chicken enthusiast

Well,got my suspence for the day!

16. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

YEA! I love Negative results, ......except when it comes to goat pregnancy tests!! :rolleyes: