Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
19,403 Posts
Those gloves can go a long way to preventing you from picking at your fingers.

I saw the suggestion about a fidget spinner or any little device that can occupy your hands to try to break the habit. It is very much a habit. At some point many people will do this type of self harm due to boredom or stress. In this way, you're very much like the rest of us.
My daughter suffers from anxiety and she has used one for several years with great success.

·
Administrator
19,403 Posts
Excellent News HT! My houseparent is allowing me to return home this thanksgiving on two conditions. I must have gloves on before meals & snacks and I must apply neosporin on my fingers twice a day until they'll completely healed.

Thank you very much for the advice, You Rock!
That's great news and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I was a nail biter for many years and once I stopped biting them and used a nail file any time I had a rough edge, it seemed to help a lot.

I think if you wear gloves and use a hand cream regularly, it will feel less compelled to pick at your skin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you stabbing fingers with a pin or something? Are you pulling hangnails and skin tags?

I do the second...

Personally, I'd try putting bandaids on the affected fingers...

I'm not a fan of gloves...

Like the idea of fidget spinner or anything else...
When I'm at the house, I have clippers for those hangnails, but can do a lot of damage if I'm not at the house...

Like the other people posting... I find a bit of Neosporin helps a good bit...

·
Premium Member
22,505 Posts
@Jerryberry, I'm glad you get to go home for Thanksgiving. :)

@GunMonkeyIntl, I am now skeeved out at the thought of booger eating. My older sister was a regular snot snacker, and it still grosses me out to this day.

well, at least i won't overeat today...

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
JerryBerry, looks like the skin on your hands and around your nails is VERY dry. You might try a GOOD hand lotion...Palmer's Cocoa Butter comes to mind....or a light application of petroleum jelly on an OFTEN basis.

Mon

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I second the suggestion of comfrey. If you can get some comfrey salve, that would help a lot. It is too bad you have such a short time. Calendula salve would also help. Badger's Baby Balm would also be healing. Is there a health food store near you?

edited to add this is not medical advice.
Ditto that about the comfrey or calendula for healing those kinds of injuries.

@Jerryberry, If you would like me to tell you how to make your own comfrey healing salve for the future let me know, it's very, very easy and inexpensive to make it.

Jerry, the injuries you have this time around don't look as extensive as the injuries you posted pictures of a few months ago. So it's good that you've caught yourself in time and are trying to stop and heal now.

Those thick white gloves can be helpful to prevent you from picking your fingers or chewing your nails but they are so thick they will also inhibit your sense of touch and dexterity if you have to wear them for long and that can be frustrating and cause more anxiety.

For that reason I'm encouraging you again to get 3 or 4 pairs of the type of sheer tulle "wedding" gloves that I recommended to you last time. The sheer gloves I suggested can be comfortably worn 24 hours a day if necessary. They would act as a thin barrier (almost like a super-thin bandage) that prevents unconscious and conscious picking and biting, but allows for plenty of air circulation and won't inhibit and interfere with your sense of touch and dexterity.

Good luck, I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
@GunMonkeyIntl, I am now skeeved out at the thought of booger eating. My older sister was a regular snot snacker, and it still grosses me out to this day.

well, at least i won't overeat today...
That’s only one of literally countless ticks that people have, and probably one of the tamer ones given that it’s one people actually talk about. It’s a safe bet that any random person you happen to meet does or thinks something way grosser, weirder or more taboo than eating boogers. They’d be mortified to even think about talking about whatever it is, but you can be sure they have something. People are strange.

In fact, the really weird ones are, if they even exist, the ones who don’t have a tick of some sort. If you ever meet that unicorn, never take your eyes off them because they’re clearly an alien in disguise and here to eat your brains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need a Thanksgiving miracle! I pick my fingers due to lack of handling anxiety in a healthy manner. I started back the age-old bad habit on friday November 18th 2022. My house parent expects my fingers to be healed by wednesday November 23rd 2022.

I applied neosporin on my fingers a few hours ago and put cotton gloves on my hands.

HT! I desperately need help healing these 4 spots by this wednesday.

View attachment 116117

View attachment 116118

View attachment 116119
We declare that the healing blood of Jesus washed over and through your hands to bring total restoration of the skin and His Holy Spirit will taking away the anxiety brought on by the enemy. Amen! Have you ever tried using a fidget spinner? That may help with the not picking.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts