Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a Thanksgiving miracle! I pick my fingers due to lack of handling anxiety in a healthy manner. I started back the age-old bad habit on friday November 18th 2022. My house parent expects my fingers to be healed by wednesday November 23rd 2022.

I applied neosporin on my fingers a few hours ago and put cotton gloves on my hands.

HT! I desperately need help healing these 4 spots by this wednesday.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Dress Gesture Thumb Finger Nail

Computer Hand Personal computer Laptop Touchpad

Computer Personal computer Laptop Black Output device

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think you're doing all that can be done. We all have nervous habits. Personally, I enjoy plucking hairs out of my moles, picking nails, drinking beer and chopping wood. Perhaps you just need to find a healthier nervous habit than deliberately drawing blood. I had to replace the foot dimmer switch on my '82 chevy, and I saved it thinking it would be a useful tool for a fidgeter. Every time you depress it you get a satisfying mechanical clack. I think you can get a new one at Napa for ten or fifteen bucks, if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
34,240 Posts
Put some O'Keeffe's working hands salve (it comes in a round, green plastic jar) on your fingers and hands. It will burn a bit but it helps to heal the skin a bit faster. Wear some thin, cotton gloves and get some sort of toy like a fidget spinner to play with instead of picking your fingers.

It's a bad habit but it can be broken. I used to pick my lips. It took me years to stop but I did stop.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put some O'Keeffe's working hands salve (it comes in a round, green plastic jar) on your fingers and hands. It will burn a bit but it helps to heal the skin a bit faster. Wear some thin, cotton gloves and get some sort of toy like a fidget spinner to play with instead of picking your fingers.

It's a bad habit but it can be broken. I used to pick my lips. It took me years to stop but I did stop.
This is the gloves I got.

Personal computer Computer Light Glove Black

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Don't worry about some ill-advised deadline. Figure out why you started doing this again and deal with it. Meanwhile, do as others here have said. Keep it clean and use some salve.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I second the suggestion of comfrey. If you can get some comfrey salve, that would help a lot. It is too bad you have such a short time. Calendula salve would also help. Badger's Baby Balm would also be healing. Is there a health food store near you?

edited to add this is not medical advice.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Those gloves can go a long way to preventing you from picking at your fingers.

I saw the suggestion about a fidget spinner or any little device that can occupy your hands to try to break the habit. It is very much a habit. At some point many people will do this type of self harm due to boredom or stress. In this way, you're very much like the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Meditation can help with anxiety in the long term but it takes patience and commitment. In the short term? I wouldnt even worry about it or it just becomes another outlet for anxiety and the spiral continues.

You'll bite your nails and pick your fingers because you bite your nails and pick your fingers.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
My house parent expects my fingers to be healed by wednesday November 23rd 2022.
Are they saying that is the deadline, or are they just saying that they think you’ll be healed up by Wednesday?

If they’re telling you it’s a deadline, they’re saying that so that you don’t pick at them any more between now and Thanksgiving. They know that you can only heal as fast as your body can do it, and just don’t want you to injure yourself any further. A deadline on healing is silly.

If you feel like it’s a deadline, don’t. Accept that you can’t rush healing, and don’t let it stress you out. Stress leads to more picking.

No matter what condition your fingers are in at that dinner, everyone around that table has flaws of their own. Don’t let anyone or anything make you feel like you’re somehow inadequate or even one bit inferior to anyone else there.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
I had to go find the numbers. I knew I’d read it before, but it took me a minute to find it.

1 in 14 people admit to eating their own boogers daily. That’s the ones who admit it.

If you find yourself feeling self-conscious at that dinner, or someone giving an uncomfortable glance at your fingers, and there are more than about seven people there, remind yourself that at least one of them eats their boogers, and it’s more than likely the one who can’t quit looking at your fingers- and they probably just ate a booger the last time they thought no one was looking… maybe even just a minute ago.

Picking at your fingers isn’t healthy, but it doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with you that isn’t wrong with everyone else. Everyone has their ticks and flaws. Don’t let anyone, especially yourself, make you think that you’re unique in being flawed.

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
Excellent News HT! My houseparent is allowing me to return home this thanksgiving on two conditions. I must have gloves on before meals & snacks and I must apply neosporin on my fingers twice a day until they'll completely healed.

Thank you very much for the advice, You Rock!
I hope you have a wonderful visit.

Reactions: Pony
1 - 20 of 31 Posts