Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some decorating help. This is an old ranch house built in 1976 so it has those rustic beams and pop corn ceiling. My husband built the book cases so I want to keep them (I actually love them). I don't know what to do with the fireplace. It has a brass fire screen and I can't find one to fit it so I'm stuck with it.

Here are my questions: !) should I paint the mantel to match the book cases?
2) should I paint the fire screen black or some other color?
3) I want to scrape off the pop corn but then what. We could just paint it (what color) or we've talked about putting bead board up on the ceiling and either painting it or staining it a light color.
4) What to do with the beams. We can't take them down (we did in the bed room and swore we'd never do that again) so I was thinking about painting them a matt color gray or either staining them a gray or white. How can I update them?
5) The horns, I used to like them but my son laughs at them so what do you think. Should they go or stay.

I want the style to be farm house country but not garage style hand me down or bunk house rustic, if any of that makes sense. For sure I hate modern though. Please give me some ideas.

IMG_1914.jpg

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
I would say yes, paint the mantel to match the beautiful bookcases, that will already bring a continuity to the room and tie it together a little more. Once you have done that you can see how it looks and decide on painting the fire screen.

I would ditch the horns... but then again you *are* in Texas :D

I like the beams as is, but if you painted them white it would blend in with the ceiling, and then neither they nor the popcorn on the ceiling would be as noticeable. I've heard removing that popcorn is an awful job.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
Nice built-ins! I would paint the mantel/fireplace surround wood parts to match the built-ins. Clean the brick and put a sealer on it. Not high gloss, just to deepen up the color. Paint the 80s brass matte black. Paint the beams milk white, then sand some off and "antique" them. The popcorn, life is too short! Leave it. The horns, it's your call.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love it. Thanks. You ladies are a big help. I have removed pop corn in other houses so I know how. It takes time and is messy but not hard. I love the idea of white washing the beams and then sanding them some to rustic it up a bit. I think I'll move the horns to the barn! I feel like I will need something above the TV though like a wreath or something. I guess I could wait and see what it looks like with the other changes. If anyone else has ideas, please chime in.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would do as already suggested for the fireplace, though I might be inclined to paint the brick too, depending on how it looked after painting the brass and mantel. I would probably plank right over the popcorn ceiling (OK, I'd get DH to do that because I don't do ladders), paint the planks white/cream like the built-ins, and then stain the beams a darker shade to update it and get more of the country look going.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
The very first thing I would do is get that tv off the fireplace, but that's just a personal hangup of mine. I feel like the fireplace is the focal point in a room and that tv detracts from it. And yeah, the horns need to go too. They really say Ranch instead of farmhouse.
Then I would paint the bookcases and all the woodwork to help make the room cozy and bring in some color. The fireplace surround is optional in my opinion. I think the color is fine the way it is, but if you prefer paint then I would paint it the same as the rest of the woodwork.
And then I really think you can get the rest of the look you're after with accessories. I would start by hanging baskets and dried flowers from those beams. Then lots of crockery, treenware, old blue or green glass canning jars, anything that says "farmhouse" really, on the bookcases. And don't forget to dress up the coffee table with something that says farmhouse too. I'd start with a nice runner and maybe a big wooden bowl? Add some braided or hooked rugs around the room and some cozy throws on the chairs and sofa and you'll have a very good start.
I live in an antique cape farmhouse in New England and I've had so much fun over the years hunting through the junk and antique shops for accessories for my old farm :)
Fair warning though, it can very easily turn into an obcession. LOL
Have fun with whatever you decide!

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Oh wow! I LOVE those beautiful book cases too. I also like the horns, but maybe not right there. And like Mickey said, I could do without the TV, my personal hang up too.
But you have a very pretty room and a lot of options. good luck. I would love to see the "after" pics!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I like the beams myself.
I would definitely paint the fireplace mantle
Maybe even take the crazy a step further and paint the brick

Maybe paint the beams black and do the ceiling a nice tanish gold color to "warm" it up a bit.
Or maybe get a little more burnt color on the ceiling and add a lighter softer color to the walls.

Add some soft lighting on top of the book cases

Im not sure what size that blanket is on the wall, but maybe if you could frame it and turn it long ways then hang the horns above it on the wall it will clean up and "tie in better".

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I may be coming in late, but I love those book cases! What if you painted them and the mantel both a soft green? That's a country color. However, since the builtins look so good, you could just paint the mantel to match. Is it possible to replace the mantel? It would look cool if it had the same clean lines as the book cases. Your husband is a craftsman, maybe he'd be willing to make a mantel that matches the book cases?

I personally don't mind popcorn, maybe I'm just old and out dated? At least it performs a function of cutting down on sound bouncing around. The beams could be white or cream/antique as mentioned.

If you go with more white, the brick could be even darkened a bit or sealed (as also mentioned) to bring out the color a bit, it just looks a bit drab in that picture.

I like the horns, but you may prefer them in the barn. Probably the saddle should go there too. Putting a cool antique find where the saddle is could be very "country farm house" style. You have an Indian blanket on the wall, going Southwestern could be a cool direction too.

Mostly have fun and do what you like - less perfect and more personal is always more interesting!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
I agree with painting out the beams.
And I like the idea of connecting the mantel and the built ins with a single paint color.
I agree with cleaning up the brick and moving the horns. :)

As for the TV.. I would remove some of the shelves from one side of the built in and place it there. I have seen 'boxes' with doors that hang on the fireplace that can hide them, but they just look heavy and weird.
But having it 'on the shelf' next to the fireplace could work.

And the little brick corners at the top of the shelves? I would paint that to match the built ins. Right now they are dark holes. Brighten them up and connect them with color.

We must have 'after' pics!!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would paint the mantel to match the bookcases. White wash the brick white. Paint the beams white. Leave the popcorn ceiling. Put a wreath where the horns are. The wreath could be changed with the seasons. Just my two cents.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
personally- I would love to have that ceiling! I think your room is amazing as is! JMHO :)

Reactions: soulsurvivor

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That house really did look just like mine. I was hoping they would do something with the beams though so I could see how that looks. I really do want to paint the mantel to match but I actually like the bricks and think I will leave them. I like the wreath idea to replace the horns. My husband made the book cases to fit this spot. I designed them and he did the carpenter work and I am happy with them. Thanks folks, you guys have a variety of ideas and have given me a lot to think about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love those bookcases! They are absolutely beautiful. If I was you I would definitely paint the mantel to match the book cases, and use metallic paint on the fire screen. I have a thing for brushed nickel if you can get it in something heat resistant ;) I would fix the popcorn ceiling & paint it white but love the dark wood of the beams. I would stay away from painting the brick. I feel like that is something that is kinda trendy and one you paint it there is no taking it back. It looks red right? I feel like red brick just like subway tile in a bathroom never goes out of style. As for the horns, if you like them I think you should keep them.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'd paint the book case to match the mantel, myself. Or some darker woodish sort of color instead of cream. Or at least just paint the faces of the bookcase, the interior parts could be left cream colored.

The beams could have a wash of white over them - semi-transparent white - to lighten them but still leave them a wood color.

The popcorn ceiling may be asbestos, check to see if it is before doing much to it. Encapsulating it and leaving it there might be the best thing?

I'd leave the red bricks red. Maybe put some sort of sealer on them to darken them up or just leave them alone. Polish and wax the brass maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
The brick up above the book cases could also be painted to lighten up the room a bit, then you could paint the coffee table to match and put down some rugs and maybe put a pillow/throw that matches the sofa on the recliner, and one that matches the recliner on the sofa to tie the different colors of leather together, along with cloth pillows/throws too of course.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts