Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, i was given some goats about 5 months ago. I go outside this morning to put out fresh water and feed and noticed one of my goats has something hanging out of her backend, i knew they looked rather big, but they haven't gotten and "bigger" since i got them 5 months ago, she was bleating and acting weird for the last few days, shivering and stuff i just figured she was cold and had been giving her extra hay for warmth and warm water to drink. my question is if she's having a baby does the cord come out first? its a red bag of meat looking material! i need some help please

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I wonder if it isn't afterbirth. I would definitely start searching high and low for some kids. Good luck!

Can you pen her up in a stall with some fresh straw?

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
It sounds like afterbirth...Make sure she didn't have them somewhere...if you find them get them dry asap and get them to drink from mama to get their colostrum. Let us know what's going on....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Before you get to thinking about kids where is it coming from? If it is coming out of the anus you need a vet asap.

Patty.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its definatly coming from the vagina area, i can't find any kids anywhere, and when shes laying down you can deffinatly feel something hard and round in her belly still, i have her in a stall now with some fresh straw for bedding she gets up and down pawing at the hay

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've been setting with her for the last 2 hours and been reading up on the kidding process i have read most everything on the fias website since i found her with the stuff hanging out and have watched the videos

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I hope it goes smooth for everyone.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
ok..that's good. That is what I did and had zero experience...but I had more time to study ;)
most important...colostrum and drying them off. Also, remember to worm mama after delivery (like tomorrow if she has them tonight) Tips...helps to have towels getting warm in the clothes dryer for drying. Give mama some water with a bit of molasses in it after delivery. Dip the babies navels in iodine (not everyone does this but I did). What's your weather like? Is she in a comfy spot with bedding?
Merry Christmas! I will be watching for progress :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don't see a bubble like thing i went out and she had a red meat looking stuff hanging out, my first thought was birth sac, but there are no babies to be found anywhere we have her in a locked pen with heat with hay on the floor, i go out every 30 mins to an hour to check on her and sit with her for a few mins, you can see her have a contraction , but nothing comes out like on the videos on the site, its just a glob of red meat looking stuff when you squeeze the tits milk does come out my hubby just gave me my christmas gift early a camera! i will take pics and put them on my post

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
Yes! post a picture...that will help. In the meantime, don't pull or tear anything out. Gosh..it just sounds so much like afterbirth. hmmmmmm. Any way a predator could have taken a baby away?

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's looking a lot like the doe is aborting. What does her udder look like? As long as she has energy and is otherwise acting normal, I'd just keep a close eye on her, otherwise, time to call the vet.

Andrea
arare-breed.net
faintinggoat.net

1 - 20 of 79 Posts