Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the greenhouse site and got some ideas, but I wanted to see if any of you have had this problem and what you did about it:

My greenhouse is full of black widows. I grow naturally and don't use any type of pesticide, not that pesticides kill them anyway. What can I use that won't kill the good guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
This is a problem. I don't know of anyway to remove spiders naturally. Sorry to say I think a pesticide is your only solution. You will have to remove anything you grow prior to spraying and then let the greenhouse sit open to air for a couple days before putting your plants back in. Black widows are just buggers!

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
I
My greenhouse is full of black widows. I grow naturally and don't use any type of pesticide, not that pesticides kill them anyway. What can I use that won't kill the good guys?

!
In my opinion "there ain't no such thing as a good guy when talking about spiders". :eek: I would think that a arasol fumigant would take care of them, you wouldn't have to remove your plants. Altho the fumigant would not be specific for black widows.

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
I've heard that osage oranges will scare spiders away. Hubby and I used them in the basement when we were first married and I do think it worked, but it's hard to remember 20 years ago!

Here's a link with some info for you...
http://hedgeapple.com/

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Go catch some daddy long-legs in your basement and set them loose in your greenhouse. They eat spiders.

Black Widows have a slow birth rate compared to other spiders. Get your shoe and get to squashing and you can set them back a couple of hundred years.

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
I've heard that osage oranges will scare spiders away. Hubby and I used them in the basement when we were first married and I do think it worked, but it's hard to remember 20 years ago!
I put some osage oranges in our pump house a few years ago for that very same reason. I still had to dig through the cobwebs come winter to turn the light on. I'm convinced it's more a well spread myth. But they are some very nice trees for making fence posts and bows:D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I once put a black widow (female) in a can and poured enough Ortho bug killer in it to cover the spider. It took 2 days to kill it. I like the granddaddy long legs idea. I have a lot of them in the greenhouse too.

edcopp, flyswatters just make them mad. I've never heard of using osage oranges, but anything is worth a try. I have until about March to take care of this problem before they start to hatch in the warmth of the heater.

Thanks all!!

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
We have problems with black widows also and one year had to resort to pesticide as they were coming into the house daily. They hatch out in October here so about then we cleared the house of animals and kids and sprayed Dursban (spell?) under the mobile and under the decks plus around the perimeter. You have to stay out of the area for 3 hours till it dries. It's what farmers use here in the barns. That did the trick! We've hardly seen a one in the last 15 years. When I see one outside I just squash it if I can get to it and I have a can of spider spray that also kills black widows and I just zap them with it if they're in a spot I can't get too.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Well...
there is always fire.
You could find a way to direct a small stream of fire onto the widows and not burn anything else down.
Truly though.. the best way is knock down and squash like mad. I squashed one that was still alive after two nights of below 12 degrees. Not here, whew, but up in the mountains where I stayed for the weekend.

Or you could get a "dirt devil" vacuum and suck them up and deposit them in a pail of bleach water or something.

·
Premium Member
27,965 Posts
Vacuum, but it has to be a wet/dry vac or one of the water basin ones. For a wet/dry vac, put some water in the tank and add a bit of dish soap to the water. For the water basin ones (Rainbow brand) add a bit of vinegar to the water. Spiders in the house are one of the big reasons I bought the Rainbow.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All usefull ideas, thanks! I think I'm in favor of the spray, but I just hate to kill all the praying mantis eggs in the process. Thanks again.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More great ideas! I'm going to order the web eliminator. I can use that in the house as well. Thanks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts