Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by huntress4203, Oct 25, 2006.

1. huntress4203

huntress4203 alias mullinaxclan

We just brought the moose head home from the taxidermist - had to take the door off to get it in the house.....We have a wall picked out but haven't really got aclue how to hangit. It isn't as easy as the mule deer was. No brackets or hooks on the back of it. Its 2' wide at the narrowest point of the neck. Antler spread of 48" and depth of about the same. We're thinking of some kind of frame or something nailed to the wall or a bracket on the back of the moose that slips into a bracket on the wall?????? Anybody have any ideas?

Glo

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Call the taxidermist.Ask them where the hooks at on the mount. They should have put a hook on the back maybe it's on top of the back under the hair. So it fits flush against the wall.It's almost impossible to hang something that big without one. I know I got two. If this happens again have the taxidermist install a "screw on horn on one horn, this way you can take off the horn to move it. It sure helps with me elk heads. Yes isn't it tacky how I worked my mounts into the conversation. I do this often. Yes I know. It's what I do.
    If you do have a hook where I say it should be. Find a stud in the wall. Drill a hole smaller that say a 1/4 inch bolt. I use them. Then ratchet the bolt into the wall. This will hold the mount real good.

3. Wow! I always wondered how a big ole moose head or elk head would look on my little 8 foot walls! I never even gave it a thought about fitting the head through the door! :rolleyes:

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Hey--- if its causing you too many problems, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :)

5. huntress4203

They should have put a hook on the back maybe it's on top of the back under the hair.
    If you do have a hook where I say it should be.

Ok, there is a hook. Its under the hair like you said. We got a special hanger at Lowes tonight. Was supposed to hold 160 lbs. NOT!!! I think we'll try the bolt into the wall - tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Glo

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Make sure that bolt goes into a stud.

7. huntress4203

Nah, I guess we'll just stick it out and deal with it. LOL...Its an ok problem for me. Was more trouble getting the meat out.

8. huntress4203

Well, he's up on the wall. We used a 7/16" x 2 1/2" lag bolt. It went into the stud but I'm still leary of it falling. I walk very gingerly in the living room. Thanks for the help and advice.
    It's looking like we'll need a new house or at least another building someday for the mounts.....the moose is really too big for our living room. We still want an elk, caribou, pronghorn and I wouldn't mind a nice whitetail.

Glo

9. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

If it is going on a outside wall, you can buy one of those long bolts that have a circle on the end. Go through a stud, and then tighten it down by going outside your house. Use wire to attach the moose hook to the circle on the bolt, so you don't have the fear of it falling when you run through the house, lol.

Oops forgot to mention that if done this way, the circle on the bolt should be right above the head in the hair so the moose will be flush with the wall. The wire will hold the mouse up to the bolt. That way you can't see the bolt either.

Yeesh, I hope that made sense. For some reason it's not even making sense to me. :shrug:

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I don't do Trophys.Did y'all Eat that moose or just hang the head on the wall?

11. huntress4203

We did both. The meat fed us, friends and our oldest who is just starting out on her own with a small baby.

12. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Wasco sells a special heavy duty bracket for locking the heads to the wall.. Its called a Trophy self locking hanger. It actually is great for theft prevention and earthquakes :) For moose size, the bracket runs little over 8 bucks. You would want to set it in a stud.
    Go to there web site.
    You actually mount one part to your mount, the other goes on the wall, then you just match the two together with the head at an angle and then you twist the head into the correct position, causing the bracket to lock into place. No worrying about it getting knocked off the wall or someone stealing it..