Help!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

What do i feed a baby goat? I need help ASAP, I have aone week old baby who may not have eaten today, and his mama is dying! I REALLY need help, please help,m i don't know what to do!

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Go get a gallon of whole store milk...heat it up to about 103 degrees about 8 oz to start 3-4 times a day and more as it wants more as much as 40oz a day...use a baby bottle if you got one

3. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Can you milk another mother?? Not only will this one-week old need warm milk 4-5 x per day, but also a very warm, draft-free place to sleep (like in a crate by your bed!)

FYI: if you're using a real human baby bottle, you must make the little holes in the nipple a tiny bit bigger with a hot needle, and don't screw the cap on too tight (this will not allow the milk to come down)

4. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

i do not know much about goats but i assume they are like other animals,make sure he gets colosturem

5. Goat Freak

He is a week old so he has already had colosturem. We have a human bottle, i have old colustrum, about 6 months old, that has been frozen and was saved for an emergency, i will tell my mom to get whole milk though. He probley will be sleeping in the house, I can't stand the thought of the little guy out there all by himself. I am just so upset, she isn't dead yet and it really sucks just waiting for my dad to come home so he can put her out of her misery. This is the goat that we thought was too tough to die, and now she's dying. I just want to save her baby now. Thank you all for the advice, i really appreciate it. I am just so upset.

6. Goat Freak

He won't take the bottle! What do I do? I can always make him take it, but I don't think that he would get what he needs by doing that. How do i get him to like it more? Please Help!

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Just take your time with the bottle. Let them get used to you, and to what the bottle looks like a bit.

You might want to kneel down, tuck the goat between your legs and lean over him a bit. Have his rear toward you, and then plug in the bottle. If he backs up, he'll just press into you.

With our calf, we had best luck straddleing, her butt up against a fence or wall, and leaning over so she flet like she was under her mom. It still took several hours to get her to catch on at first.

Good luck.

Also, could you milk another goat to feed her? And do you have any good mother does nursing just one kid. If you pet and feed the doe, and have someone else put the baby on her a few times, she might take it on as her own. Our Bindy nursed both daughter and or-phan granddaughter.

Lynda

8. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

One other thing. Have the bottle angled so that the kids head is pointed upward at about the same angle as if it was nursing off it's mom.

Lynda

9. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

something that i know that works on calves is to insert the bottle and gently grasp the kids upper and lower jaw in one hand and GENTLY squeeze so that he recieves a little milk and he may get the idea.

10. Goat Freak

He is doing better now. And Clara is dead, my dad agreed that she was dying, and so he put her out of her misery. What causes a goat to start having seisures, and they are fine one minute, and then 30 minutes later they are having seizures? Thank you all for your help, bye.

11. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Goat freak, I am new to this board, but I have been raising boer goats for 4 years now and I have been where you are now. Purina makes a good milk replacer and that is what I use. I am bottle feeding two kids now, their mom died shortly after giving birth. When you bottle feed if you will rub their back end(butt) it will usually make them suck on the bottle, I know that probably sound weird, but it works. Watch a mother doe, she will lick them while they nurse. Also make sure you keep their rear end clean. I have had one baby that would not take a bottle no matter what, I used a very large suringe(minus needle of course) and gently shot the milk down him, I used that as his bottle and it worked fine. Sorry your doe died.

12. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, G.F., I'm so sorry about your doe. I have no ideas about what happened to her, I'm too new to goats yet and knock on wood, haven't had that problem. I hope your little guy is okay, sounds like he'll nurse, he just needs to get used to it. Maybe try to find out the does problem for sure, incase it was vitamin/mineral related and the little guy could be bothered by it too.

Good luck!

13. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear about Clara. Our herd sends their condolences.

Is the little one taking the bottle yet? And does he/she have a name?

Lynda

14. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Clara. I hope the baby is taking the bottle better.

15. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I'm so sorry about the momma goat, Goat Freak. I hope your baby is okay....Diane

16. Goat Freak

Yes, his name is Zeke. We were thinking about keeping him to begin with, at least i was, but now he is staying for sure, he is Clara's last baby, all we have left of her offspring is two sons, both adults, and her 6 month old daughter, who we are probly not going to keep, if we do it will be soley becuase she is the only daughter that Clara has given us.
    By the way, thank you delinda, he is now taking the bottle much bette, thanks to me following your instructions.
    And thank you EVERYONE for being so helpful, you guys are great. Thank you SO much. Bye.

17. Goat Freak

Now there is something ELSE wrong with Zeke, read my new thread. He has worms coming in and out of his butt. I just can't believe how many things are going wrong today!

18. TamInAz

TamInAz Well-Known Member

Very sorry the mama goat died :( Praying your little guy does well. Off to read your new thread on him.

Blessings,
    Tam

19. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I see you have gotten some really great responses already, but I did want to say that next to fresh goat milk, the best thing to raise kids on that I have ever found is fresh, raw cows milk from a healthy cow. Raises very nice kids!! Just make sure its from a *healthy* cow.....I have many goats in my herd that were raised on cows milk from birth. They do great.

20. Ramblin Acres

Ramblin Acres Well-Known Member

I would strongly reccomend you get that kid on a goat milk replacer.Whole cows milk is to rich for there system,it is also really hard on them to switch so drastically from goat milk to cow milk.If you can go buy some goat milk at the store and mix with the goat milk replacer.You are better off using lamb replacer if you don't want to spend the money on the purinia milk replacer for goats.We have extra goat milk replacer by purinia that we keep in our deep freezer for emergencies.Good luck...