Help yellow jackets in the ground!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CurlyHfarm, Jul 7, 2009.

1. CurlyHfarm

CurlyHfarm We farm for fun

Anyone have any good ways to get rid of a yellow jacket nest in the ground? The only reason it's an issue is that it is in our yard and we have a 15 mo old boy that is all over the place. Any help is appreciated as always.

2. nathan104

nathan104 Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, I would pour diesel and light it. But, thats not very enviromentally friendly.

3. cowcreekgeeks

cowcreekgeeks Well-Known Member

Neither are yellow jackets...at least, they're not friendly in my environment. I second the vote for diesel and a match.

4. kendall j

kendall j Well-Known Member

We always used plain old gas. Didn't even light it, just pour it down the nest after they are all in for the evening.

5. cowcreekgeeks

cowcreekgeeks Well-Known Member

BTW...if your kid has not yet been stung by a bee, wasp, hornet etc... a nest full of yellow jackets would NOT be a good way to find out he is allergic. When I was a kid, I got into a nest and by the time I got off the hill, I had YJs in my socks stinging the bottoms of my feet. 86 stings total. Trip to the ER. Yay! Fun. :mad:

6. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just put a clear glass bowl over the entrance and don't remove it for a few days. Or if you have skunks you could pour some honey around the entrance. Skunks love yellow jacket nests.

7. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

if you want to be enviromentaly concious, I suggest denatured alcohol in place of the petrol.

8. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

The diesel/kereosene/gasoline works fine. You don't need a lot, a glass-full will do, and you don't need to light it (if it is gasoline, definitely don't light it)
    Mark where the nest is and then dump in the glass of fuel in late in the evening or very early in the moring. The cooler it is the less active they are.

9. tab

tab Well-Known Member Supporter

A few years ago I had a huge nest underground by the horses. I taped some red platic over my flashlight, went out after dark, dug the nest up partially and sprayed as I went. A cool night is best. I had on long sleeves and pants just in case. Supposedly the yj can't see red light. I needed the light to see what I was doing. That way I knew I was getting the adults and the larvae.

10. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

A very light (barely visible) dusting with Sevin dust around the opening every day until they are gone.

Gas down the hole will work, but be aware that they often have more than one entrance. Soapy water will work too, but not as fast.

11. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

it really doesn't take much gas. a glass full sounds like a bit much, lol. the alcohol is a good idea. be prepared to fill the sunken hole it leaves next year.

12. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

Armadillos like yellow jacket nests too. I've had pretty good luck with the commercial sprays, though it takes more than one spraying.

13. glazed

glazed Tough Girl, Be Gentle

What about boiling water?

14. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

It might kill some, but definitely not all. Soapy water works because the soap clogs up the spiracles (holes in the exoskelton through which they breathe), causing them to suffocate.

15. glazed

glazed Tough Girl, Be Gentle

:lightbulb: Ah ... I did not know that ... thanks! :lightbulb:

16. CurlyHfarm

CurlyHfarm We farm for fun

Thanks everyone for the info!!!

17. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Best way I have found is locate where they go in and out. After dark take a propane torch and put the tip down in the hole and seal with dirt and open the valve. let run several minutes or longer. Take out torch and leave it alone. The propane is heavier than air and will stay in the hole for awhile. Good luck getting rid of them. Sam

18. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

We had a yellowjacket nest in the yard when I was a teenager and Dad told me to pour gas down the hole we saw, wait a few minutes for it to fume and toss a match in and run. What he failed to tell me was to use only a quart . I poured in a 5 gallon can and let it fume for about 20 minutes. When I lit it, I blew the doors off our 8 x 10 Sears garden shed and lifted one side of it off off its slab.

I have to admit he took the demolished shed in stride because all he said was " Well we know where their back door was. Glad we had the riding mower out. The roof was starting to leak anyway. I should have told you how much gas to use. You should close your mouth and go change your drawers if you need to. While this explosion was impressive , its not as spectacular as when I blew up the officers latrine when I was stationed in Korea and used gas instead of diesel fuel to burn out the pit. Lets go buy a new shed kit and don't make any plans for next weekend because I will be teaching you how to assemble a tin shed."

Then my mother came out and looked at us and said " I see you are in the middle of a father / son moment and nobody is injured. Are you two coming inside for a shot and a beer or do you want me to bring the fixings out to the patio for the "You aint gonna believe this story?"" :rotfl:

19. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

I've got yellow jacket nests all over my yard too, or did last fall. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen them this year! They were all over the place when the apples were ripe. That's why I got ducks. I was told they would dig up the nest and eat all the yellow jackets. I haven't turned the duck out yet. They're only 3 weeks old.

20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

There are plenty of ways to deal with them, but since you've got a 15 month old, you don't want those methods. From Savin to gas and such, none of them are good to have with a 15 month old.

You might want to consider asking the local bee keepers what they would charge to come out and manually remove the nests. It's not that hard to do, I do it frequently. A bit if wire, a shovel, and suit up. Find the nest, smash it. Squish all the yellow jackets you can find.