HELP! Woodchuck Problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Keith2004, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Keith2004

Keith2004 Member

Last weekend we had a woodchuck get into our garden. Because we have neighbors, kinda close, we can't shoot off our guns. I finally ended up getting him out of the garden by lifting up the fence but then he went right back in and proceded to start digging while staring at me. This really ticked me off so I started to stone it. I finally got him back out and told my dog to get it. She repeatedly ran around the rodent while barking. That woodchuck wasn't about to back down though. After I called Shana back He finally retreated. I fear he will be back again though. Any suggestions on how I rid my garden of this pest. I hate killing animals, but I have to protect my crop.

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

In my opinion, the only good woodchuck or raccoon is a dead one!

Get a trap. Trap it. Shoot it!

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Do what you have to do neighbors or not. Clean shot with a 22. END OF PROBLEM.

mikell

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

A 410 won't make a mess of anything but the animal...and maybe a few tomato plants. It's louder but safer IMO. Or, you could get some rat shot for the .22-I'm not sure if that's the official name, but it's the ammo that has a clear tip full of little BBs. I call it "Prozac Shot"; get a belly full of it and it's off to Happy Land.

5. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have intermittent groundhog problems, but have successfully managed to chase them off just by devilling them so much, they'd rather be anyplace but here!

:haha:

My latest *encounter with the furry beasts* was a completely, obnoxiously obese one --- he was so fat that, every time I saw him, I had to run outside to take a gander to make sure he wasn't a small bear :haha: . He finally got tired of me running out and him having to waddle his way out of here as quick as he could (which wasn't too quick) and he got sick of it and left for greener pastures. Haven't seen hide nor hair of him in almost two weeks.

Sometimes it really does pay to be obnoxious. :yeeha:

Obviously, someone's been domesticating yours because they think he's cute. You need to undomesticate him so he takes off at a full run anytime he sees you or the dogs anywhere in the vicinity. :yeeha:

Either that or shoot him. :yeeha:

Probably easier to shoot him. :haha: :yeeha:

6. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Earlier somebody mentioned a supersoaker loaded with vinegar or amonia as a deterant to attacking dogs. The same solution would probably work on a woodchuck, without endangering or annoying your neighbors.

7. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

what kind of fence do you have? if you use chicken wire, you can bury a portion of it a foot or two down. This will prevent them from digging under the fence. Shooting will temporarily solve your problem, until another one comes along and takes his place. My garden has a picket fence around it and i finally broke down and put 1 inch chicken wire around the garden as well. The rabbits and woodchucks would just squeeze between the pickets. Now the garden is growing well undisturbed by critters.

8. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Actually, I rabbit-proofed my garden and it worked.

Didn't do it with chickenwire (although I have a big garden I'm planning for next year that will have a serious chickenwire fence around it :yeeha: ).

Instead, I made like a moat around it --- it's a raised bed and, for a bunny to get in it, he would first have to jump a high board, navigate a drop, make it through the cinder blocks before finally reaching the garden.

So far, it's worked. :) I even see bunnies in the yard almost every evening, but have yet to have one get into the garden. :yeeha:

9. Keith2004

Keith2004 Member

I do have chicken wire around the garden but didn't take the time to bury it like I did with my hens. We did manage to get some of those lanscape cloth staples and stake it down in the weaker spots. I haven't seen it for about a week and a half, but definately want to be prepared for next time.

10. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

If you use a trap, bait it with carrots. They cannot resist carrots. Then you can shoot him.

11. dla

dla Well-Known Member

My husband shot over 30 groundhogs last year, but they keep on coming. Of course, they have nothing better to do than eat our gardens, dig in our pastures and make MORE groundhogs. We can't shoot 'em all day.
    We do have a few holes so close to the house or barn we just can't shoot there. Plus our front field is hilly and there are houses at it's edge. So shooting alone won't do it.
    We bought a trap recently, but I'll bet it still smells like people and a feed store, but we'll try carrots!
    We also put the cat litter down the holes and that has finally driven them out of the old barn.
    I was wondering if my son's paintball gun would have enough zip to make one of those hard-headed buggers dizzy... You could try that in a suburban yard.
    Good luck!

12. Walt K. in SW PA

Walt K. in SW PA Well-Known Member

Chain a dog or 2 next to your garden, works for me.

13. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

mix a slurry of manure and dump down hole!dog is best but do not use near edible plants . next best is pig then chicken . fill in the hole and treat again if they come back!cleared out seventy acres of hogs . watch out they do bite!

14. Deb&Al

Deb&Al Well-Known Member

we're having major groundhog problems. last year DH shot about 8 of them but now there are two more. we have about five acres of pasture, for hay, that is being cut this week. two large gardens nearer the house.

those things stroll out of the pasture every morning and come down the gardens to "nibble".

we're not advserse to shooting them again, but i'm intrigured by some of these posts.

regarding the kitty litter? is it the clumping kind, or the clay kind? is it fresh, or, shall we say, "used"? :)

thanks,
    debbie

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you can get close enough I've skewered them with a pitchfork before. I usually just dispatch them with a .22. I've used an air rifle before but they are surprisingly tough critters and the air rifle, even though it was .22 caliber and zinged a pellet at over 800fps, didn't seem to drop them like the trusty .22 rifle. I use a .223 on them at longer ranges.

Anyone here eat groundhog? They're not bad at all.

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We're going to try the cat litter (used is what works, I'm told).

FIL has shot some big honkin' ground hogs -- they're so big, their tunnels have destroyed the concrete floor of the workshop in the pole barn! Last one he shot had to be close to 30 pounds. Nasty thing, and it was covered with fleas - should have seen them jump off!

I don't know if paint ball guns would kill it, pump-action ones for sure won't have enough power. If you have the CO2 type, make sure you're running hot and hit it from close range. At the very least, that 'hog will get a sting that will stay in its memory for a LONG time. And it will be marked in pink or green or purple, so that makes identification easier...

Ah, you're probably just better off using litter and shooting with your .22.

Good luck!

Pony!

17. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Hay all you people,

Groundhog is great eating. Look you eat rabbet the groundhog eats the same thing. Cook as rabbet or chicken.
    Don’t be silly, its FREE FOOD nothing wrong with it. He ate on you, now you eat on him.
    John#4

18. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Dave is exactly right.
    These .22 cartridges are quiet! Friend of mine used them for "pest control" when he lived in a trailer park. Fireworks are louder.