Help with well pump problem

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Sleepingbear, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Sleepingbear

Sleepingbear Member

My well pump wouldnt shut off--so I changed the pressure switch. It seemed to solve the problem as the pump cycled normally. That was two weeks ago. Now it is doing it again. If i tap on the line that goes to the pressure switch the pressure switch will shut off the pump. That line isnt blocked as i just put a new pressure switch on it. Any ideas whats going on?

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

You might want to check the air pressure in your water tank. If the pressure is too low it could be fooling the pressure switch somewhat....

3. Sleepingbear

Sleepingbear Member

Thanks I'll check that out

4. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

This is a longshot suggestion:

A few years ago, the pipe in our well that runs down the pump (submersible, 140 feet down) was cracked. The pump would behave pretty normally but, as pressure built, water would spray through the crack and recycle back to the bottom of the well. We didn't know about the crack, but the pressure would rarely build up enough to shut off the well. I didn't have the well checked until I noticed that water directly from the well was warmer than it should be.

This probably isn't your problem. But, if you troubleshoot the pressure switch to wit's end and still have the problem, it's something else you can check. If the crack is high and bad enough, you can hear the water spraying in the well.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

One of my pumps the pressure switch is on a little pipet with elbows. About every 15 years or so that small diameter pipe plugs up with rust, magnessium, or whatever crud accumulated. Symptoms are _just_ like you describe.

You said yours isn't plugged, so you must know. Just mentioning it.

Do you have a bladder tank, or just a tank 1/2 air, 1/2 water? The bladder tanks need pressure right & a good bladder, or odd sympoms can appear.

--->Paul

--->Paul

6. Sleepingbear

Sleepingbear Member

Well I am assuming the pipe isnt blocked as water shot through it when I replaced the switch. But it may be worth it to take it off and check again. I have a bladder in my pressure tank. Thanks Rambler.

7. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

The bladders in those water tanks are well known for developing small leaks. You may have to replace the water tank to solve this problem.

Troubleshooting the small stuff is the way to go tho.....Take the lid off of your well and check for movement on the water surface-if you do see action the odds are good that you indeed have a small crack in the main pipe.

Relpacing the water tank/bladder should be your last recouse as this will not come too cheaply.

Good luck and get er done!

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If the bladder is ruptured the unit will still shut off but may recycle immediately. I am with Rambler as to the problem. Look where the small tubing mounts to the pump and make certain that the female threaded hole is not clogged with rust inside the housing. If the pump itself is worn or if it is a jet pump with the jet partially stopped, the pressure may not be obtainable. You could drop the setting for cutout about 5 lbs and observe what happens. The instructions to set are in the cover of the pressure switch.

9. Sleepingbear

Sleepingbear Member

The problem is fixed. I took off the little pipe--no blockage. I then dropped the pressure (5) pounds--solved the problem.

Can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help me out. Hope I can return the favor someday.