Help with washing machine agitator

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by shelbynteg, Jul 23, 2005.

1. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Whirlpool top loader, about 5 yrs old. The dog ears and maybe the cam need replacement, since just the top of the agitator is not agitating.

I found a site that illustrated the process of disassembly and replacement. I have removed the fabric softener dispenser, and the center bolt and seal in the agitator. At this point, some sort of retaining clip must still be holding things together, for I am unable to separate the upper and lower parts of the agitator. Any Advice? tHANKS!

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

See if it is a "C" clip.

Might be hard to see if you don't know what you are looking for. Is a piece of metal sort of like a washer but doesn't go completely around the circle like a washer. Has a gap like a C. The ends of the C will have tiny holes. The C clip sits in a groove. To release it, you need a special tool or something like two ice picks or something with points on them. You put those in the two holes and spread the C outwards and that allows it to slide out of its groove and off the shaft. You are pulling the ends of the C apart.

Typically during the process, it will usually fly off to Lord Knows Where. Happens a lot. Best to put a towel or something sort of over your hands to catch it while peeking at the job at hand.

C Clips are common devices to hold something on a shaft where a nut or a bulky device would be in the way. In your case, should be on top and prevents lifting the top part out. Might not notice it if you aren't into mechanical things.

A photo always helps us see exactly what is going on. Can be some sort of a lock screw or whatever further down the shaft but that is probably not too common.

3. shelbynteg

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Difficult to tell. That metal part make be threaded on and uses a special tool to be unscrewed. Can you post the site that illustrates the process of disassembly and replacement?

Some of these might be pressed on and require a puller like a steering wheel puller to get them apart or they may not even designed to be taken apart.

That little bump at 9 O'clock on the shaft top, appears to be a locking nub to maybe keep the metal top part from unscrewing. Many times they cut a notch, use something like a pantleg washer or deform a part to do this function.

Would help to see a couple more photos from different angles. Side, etc.

5. shelbynteg

Well, took it to the shop with me, when I went to buy the parts...

All I needed to do was pull them apart with some force. Evidently, the tabs at 2 and 8 o'clock are the locking mechanism. Glad to have it resolved. Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me.

BTW, Cosmic, the little bump at 9 o'clock was caused by me, digging around with a screwdriver when I was trying to get the danged thing apart.