Help with this situation, anyone???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by goatlover270, Jan 5, 2007.

1. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

I have been calling around and in search of goat replacement or supplement for baby goats and this place is so far out in the woods, they don't even carry it. This one place had some powder milk stuff said it was for cows... I do not know if that is good to use???? As posted in the previous ad this morning, I am concerned about the baby not getting enough milk from mama. :shrug: Someone told me that even if she is getting some milk from mama the supplement bottle will help make up difference and help it put weight on better. Does anyone have experience with this and also... Will it mess up her tummy if she has both???? I hope I can get some help, because mama isn't putting out enough milk for me to get some in a bottle, not to mention the fight that I get with her. No other nanny's have milk, all dried up :rolleyes: Baby Angels Grandma, had a buckling a while back and she has weaned already, so no luck there either.
    Ok, I look forward to some advice... thanks. :angel:

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

You can use whole cow's milk from the grocery store (warmed - but NOT in the microwave!). If you have access to fresh cows' milk, so much the better.

Hope this helps.

NeHi

P.S. I never had much luck with the milk replacers!

3. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Separate mom and the kid, milk mom and bottle feed her. Then you'll know how much she'd getting. How old is she? You can supplement her with regular whole cow's milk from the grocery store. If mom isn't giving enough milk, it's either because the kid is drinking it all or she's of an age to be weaned and mom's drying up. I really have never encountered a case where a goat didn't give enough milk for one kid. Edited to ask - what is mom eating? If she's not producing milk, it could because she's not getting enough to eat.

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

You can use cow's milk or calf replacer for kids. Don't use lamb replacer, it has too much fat and not enough copper.

Whole cow's milk is the next best thing to mamma. if you have any dairies that are certified Johnnes free, you might be able to buy bulk milk directly from their farm. Storebougth whole milk will also work, but much more expensive.

If you go with calf replacer, get the milk protein one and not the soy protein one.

5. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

6. goatlover270

Good afternoon it is now 4:15 p.m. my time here and I have just come from being at the barn, cleaning stalls today. I have been keeping an eye on Baby Angel :angel: she is just the cutest hopping around and bouncing off the side of the stall walls. THaT is what puzzles me about her and her eating habit. She still was doing the same thing, as I timed her on each nipple, 2 seconds on one, then to the other she went, 3 seconds there and back to the first one. She never stayed on one nipple longer than 4 seconds after timing her. She was there for a total of 20 seconds.
    She is Pygmy her mom is pygmy and first time mama.
    She is only a week and half old and weighs around 3 lbs give or take. Was only 2lbs 8 oz at birth.
    Things we are going to say now are, we know she is: playing and alert!
    Next we know she is: going bathroom.
    She is: nibbling at hay and feed.
    Mom Is: getting plenty of food,water and hay.
    Mom Is: getting wormed this weekend, Good move right??
    Maybe this will help with her milk supply??????? Hmmmm :shrug:
    Ok, so now what...LOL
    I think I said this in a previous post reply, I am just like an old mother hen LOL
    Always worried about stuff, If I had gone through small kids and only single kids born, then I wouldn't be on top of this issue so much. If you could just see how she acts, when she is nursing you would know whyI am concerned. and I hear her not crying out loudly, BuT she makes a small bleat sound when she moves from nipple to nipple, like maybe could possibly?? agitated?? not getting the milk out like she wants.
    Now, I am going to dust the other goats, kids,nannys and billys tomorrow for lice... I will dust around the stall where Baby Angel and Molly are. What do you think if I put just a small little bit on mama and baby to at least try to help them with relief??? Poor baby :Bawling: she scratching and nibbling at them stupid lice.
    We have so many deer around and other animals that the vets around here say that the lice are a problem in this area.

Again I thank everyone and hope everyone is having a good year so far. I look forward to each reply.

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get sulphur it will keep lice off your goats...once they are gone you give a maintenance dose per week to keep them away....Lice cannot live on a goat that has sufficent levels of sulphur in their skin.
    If you decide to supp Angles feedings please put a teaspoon of Natural yoghurt in with the milk...as this will help her stomach digest it. You know yoghurt with the acidofilous thingy in it...cant remember the name of it....doesnt matter what flavor. :)

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A hungry baby is not playing and bouncing off the walls, a hungry baby is a miserable thing. They cry all the time, they rarely sleep, they eventually are too weak to try to nurse. It does not sound from the nursing routine that the kid is getting all it wants to eat but it certainly is not starving. Just put a baby bottle (human kind) in the microwave with some grocery store milk in it and see if the kid will take it, warm it to higher than we feed our kids, their temp is 102, if it balks it certainly can't be that hungry, warm milk from any source when you are hungry is taken eagerly.

I agree, the mom likely has a congested udder, after you see the kid nurse tommmrrow, tie the doe to the fence by her collar, if you don't have a milkstand, use a large belt and belt her tummy to the fence also, so she can not move away from you, have someone come out and hold up one of her rear legs. Milk this doe all the way out, look at and taste the milk...is there something wrong with it? Start worming your does the day they kid, and does she have any calcium in her diet? Is her water clean and she has plenty of it, is it unfrozen? Offering hot water to just fresh does makes more milk, milk is all water remember. While you have her clipped to the fence, worm her and trim her feet, give her a once over to look for other problems.

Vicki

9. goatlover270

Good afternoon to all. It is around 1 p.m. almost and all goats here are doing good. I have been watching Baby Angel and her mom this a.m. and she is still bouncy and :dance: around the stall. Mama still eating and drinking well. I saw Baby Angel actually eat a little of grain this morning. I think that is a good thing! :) I checked, after struggling with Molly, since she thinks I was going to nab her or something, she still has milk, it just doesn't squirt out like regular nannys milk. If that makes since. Anyways, it is there, just not alot. Baby, still goes back n forth and I am going to offer her a bottle this afternoon after I get back from errands and also worming mama. I think I am going to use the flea/tick spray I have for kittens and pups, not much, on baby to help her with the relief of the stupid lice. Mama, gets wormed today, that will help with her lice.
    I greatly appreciate everyones suggestions and Vicki I will try that technique when I offer the bottle.
    I hope yall have a good day. I will update later this evening.
    God Bless! :angel: