Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My family is new to breeding rabbits. We have 4 bucks and 5 does. I bred all five does and they all had 3 fall offs but none of them have had any kits! No signs nothing! None are nesting or pulling hair. All they do is poop and pee in the boxes. 3 females are about a year old and the other 2 are about 6 months old. Males are all at least 5-6 months old. Two does were supposed to be due last tuesday and 3 were supposed to be due this past sat. I do not understand what is going on if anyone could help it would truly be great !!!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,149 Posts
Males shooting blanks?

Nutrition not right?

Calendar miscalculation?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi. My family is new to breeding rabbits. We have 4 bucks and 5 does. I bred all five does and they all had 3 fall offs but none of them have had any kits! No signs nothing! None are nesting or pulling hair. All they do is poop and pee in the boxes. 3 females are about a year old and the other 2 are about 6 months old. Males are all at least 5-6 months old. Two does were supposed to be due last tuesday and 3 were supposed to be due this past sat. I do not understand what is going on if anyone could help it would truly be great !!!
you really only need 2 bucks. make sure the bucks are really bucks. same with does. sometimes it hard for beginners to tell the difference. each buck should have his own cage. does should be taken to bucks one at a time. don't put nest boxes in till you see them pulling hair. no rabbit needs a box to sleep in. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sunlight plays a big role. Poor sunlight often results in bad breeding. If it's your rabbits first time, try again. The bucks have to learn where to stick it, and the doe needs to be cooperative. After the party, you can check the doe's vulva for visible signs of semen leakage. Check before and after to see the difference. If it was successful, you'll see some semen leakage. Sometimes a buck doesn't get the penis in, but will still fall off. Especially with new bucks.

·
Premium Member
24,051 Posts
The does might not have lifted to give the bucks access. Hopefully you have had successful breeding since the original post.

·
Premium Member
25,120 Posts
Does ca n keep their tails down to stop them from getting bread. you can see this if you watch. I sometimes helped the buck by holding the tail up whil he did his business. We guys sometimes have to help each other lol.
Are there any ways other animals can get around the cages, dogs, cats, coons, possums? IF so, the does can get scared, and either abort the babies, eat them or run in and out of the nest box killing the babies by continually stomping on them. I had, at one time 150, so I know alot about their breeding habits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does ca n keep their tails down to stop them from getting bread. you can see this if you watch. I sometimes helped the buck by holding the tail up whil he did his business. We guys sometimes have to help each other lol.
Are there any ways other animals can get around the cages, dogs, cats, coons, possums? IF so, the does can get scared, and either abort the babies, eat them or run in and out of the nest box killing the babies by continually stomping on them. I had, at one time 150, so I know alot about their breeding habits.
All good information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts