Help with rabbit please.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tirzah, May 17, 2017.

1. Tirzah

Tirzah Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello everyone,

We have friends visiting and they have a pet rabbit. We are not familiar with rabbit health and was hoping that someone could help or point us in the right direction.

Our friends recently relocated from Colorado (elevation 8000 ft.) and are currently staying with us in Michigan (1200 ft.) waiting for their home to be ready. They spent a week driving while the rabbit was in a small pet carrier which may not have been as clean as it should have due to the traveling issue.

Some information on the rabbit:

~He is 6 years old
    ~Runny nose and eyes
    ~Fever
    ~Weight loss
    ~Not eating much food and hardly drinking any water

Could someone please help with some input as to what to do? I would sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I am no help here, but maybe someone with some knowledge will answer your post. I never keep older rabbits----always slaughtered and changed out while they are young so I rarely have a sick one. Good Luck!!

Tirzah likes this.

3. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure I can be much help. But will throw out a few suggestions.
    Get some water into the rabbit. A eye dropper if necessary.
    Do you have any Gatorade handy ? That might be better than plain water.
    When I had a sick baby years ago, I used milk with a eye dropper.
    That is what saved her. It was the protein.
    Keep rabbit away from other animals especially other rabbits. Quarantine.
    Anything you can put in front of the rabbit to entice it to eat.
    A piece of carrot, slice of carrot, grass, dandelion leaves. Only a small quantity of each.
    Apple sauce, plain pumpkin, dry cereal ( no added sugar ), graham cracker, saltines, hay.
    Check it's feed, make sure nothing got wet and moldy.

Not sure how you know it has a fever. If you suspect a head cold type thing, try mucinex
    in the drinking water. It's a dry powder for a human cold that is mixed with a cup of water.
    Maybe a baby aspirin mixed with water and eye dropper some of it. You have to come in
    from the side of the mouth on a rabbit. No getting through them front teeth straight on.

Come back and let up know how you made out.

Tirzah, April Angnos and dsmythe like this.
  4. Tirzah

Fire-Man, thanks!

Ladytoysdream, thank you so much for all of the tips you shared, I appreciate it very much! I'm not sure how our friend's daughter knows if Charlie has a fever or not, I just figured she could tell. I hear that the runny nose and eyes are gone and she is eating a little bit and drinking better. Our friend's daughter is going to take your diet suggestions and try those too. Thank you SO MUCH! (not shouting just thankful :))

5. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had rabbits for 20 years plus.
    One thing that helped educate me was keeping rabbits in the house as house pets.
    I thought I knew a lot already but bunnies will teach you if you let them.
    My current and only house bunny now is Bugs. He is a Netherland Dwarf that
    will be 1 year old next month. He has a disability and should not have made it
    this far. His mother took care of him but Bugs had to be brave to get his share
    because his brother was a lot bigger than him. I brought him in the house last
    winter because I knew he would not make it out in the bunny room in a big cage
    all by himself. I should put him on a scale. I think he is less than 3 pounds. He is
    really fluffy like a angora rabbit. He really likes to cuddle with his human. We
    have a routine. He has no fear of the basset dog either :)

Tirzah and dsmythe like this.
  6. Tirzah

That is really sweet :) I think that sometimes when animals should not have 'made it' they end up being the best pets.

Well, our friend's girl used an eye dropper and gave Charlie both some water and a little milk. He seems to be doing alot better so we appreciate your advice :) Thank you!