help with pressure canner

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by papaw, May 9, 2006.

1. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

A year or so ago, we talked about pressure canners. I have forgotten the ones that were recommended. We're about to buy one and I'd love to hear who likes or dislikes what make and why.
    I think the best was an American ????? something, but just can't remember.
    Please help us make a good purchase here ... they're expeneive.

2. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Hey, Papaw. We have two canners for our home use.

One is a Presto--does 7 qts. or 9 pts.
    has a dial gauge

Second is a Mirro--does 7 qts or 18 pts (stacked)
    has weighted regulator

I did not opt for one of the larger deeper ones because of the weight factor when full and if I'd have to move the whole thing. I have shoulder arm arthritis issues. I understand the deeper canners would make it all go very much quicker (I just use two canners) and get 'er done.......

neither canner is more than 8 years old. Avrage price each was under 90.00 as I recall, and I like them both.....

Margo

3. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

4. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I have the All-American 21 quart canner and I love it.

First - no gaskets to replace.

Second - it comes with both a weighted gauge and dial gauge. That means I don't have to get it tested every year by an extension agent (they are pretty hard to come by overseas) which was a definate plus when we were living in Europe.

Third: This thing is a tank! I fully expect my great grandkids to be using it.

Nikki

5. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

6. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

I just bought an 8 qt. Presto with weighted gauge for $40, which I'm quite pleased with. Kmart carries them and Sears also has one in that price range, but can't remember the brand (their site is temporarily down).

7. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the help. I think the ones from the thread last year were the All-American .... Presto is the one I remember from my mothers kitchen.

8. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I have a Presto and an All American. No comparison in quality of materials. The All American has it hands down. Much for substantial.

9. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Ok, next thought ...
    I keep hearing that a large canner don't do to well on an electric stove. I remember my myother and grandmother using their canners. Mother used gas, but my grandmother had electric .... what's the difference? Is it in the time it takes for the canner to come to temp?

10. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

It may be just me, but I have an awful time getting the electric stove right where I want it to be with anything, never mind the pressure cooker..Perhaps it's only because I'm so accustomed to looking at that gas flame and adjusting the height to where I want it to be..the electric burner seems to take much longer to either cool down or heat up.

11. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, and I'm startin to agree with your sig line! :)

12. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I used to have a really good one that I think I bought at Sears, but that was 32 years ago and then my guys made a still out of it , well, that is a long story, anyway, since we moved to Kentucky I decided to buy a Presto and guess what, it is made in china and is much flimsier than my old one was.

13. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

ha ha ha ha ....how's the still workin? :rolleyes:

14. wendys_goats

wendys_goats wendys_goats

I use my pressure cooker on an electric stove and have no problems. But don't use it on a glass or ceramic top stove :nono: speaking from experience. In the middle of canning the top cracked and broke into several pieces.

I also have the Presto with the dial gauge and the Mirro with the weighted gauge. I like them both.