help with pregancies

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

hello, we have had few goat birthings at our barn, and need some help telling if our doe is ready to kid. she is showing few signs, but her udder has been swollen for a week or more, like a rock! small amounts of white discharge has been present for two weeks or more. she has been drinking water by the ton, and peeing every ten minutes or so. she still eats well, but she never stopped when she last had her kids. she seems unusually affectionate, and her body shape is changing slightly. when will she have her baby(s)? (she is a fainting goat.) if she was bred oct. 6thish, she should be due march 5th, yesterday.

also, i am having trouble getting my three year old (never breed before) pygmy doe bred. i heard that they can sometimes go into normal heat even if they are bred, from a reliable sorce, but she has gone into heat three times, and i saw her get bred well each heat many times! she (and he) are a very good weight and disgutingly healthy. they are fed great, expensive grain and hay. whats the matter? could there be fertility problems, or did i wait to long to breed her? HELP!

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

the doe, will probably kid this week. they go between 145 days ,and 155 days. however, I have one doe that goes 163 days, evry time, and delivers just fine. and is very healthy. as for your pygmey, time will tell if she took or not, if she didn't change bucks next time, sometimes that is all it takes.

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

You may want to try to milk her out before she kids....hard hot udders are very troublesome often leading to mastitis....sounds like she will be a heavy milker if you can get her udder back into shape.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

hollows on the sides of the tail , swollen vulva, but like others said , she could go a few days either way of her edd, just like people :D

as for the doe being bred and not taking, is she possibly over conditioned>?ie fat?
    is she 3 years old and never been tried to breed , or 3 and just never took ?
    if shes 3 and never took , i would suspect hermaphrodism , or some other fertility problem , if youre not in love with her, cull her, if you love her, just keep on loving, but dont expect kids
    i know i have seen does less than a year old get bred, and take, not that its a good thing, but it does happen , certainly at three if she has been covered by your buck regularly , and you know he is a good buck with other does, well, then looks like the problem is the lady...

5. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Watch for her to start "streaming" the mucus coming out will get runny and her backside and tail will get gooey. She'll get up and lie down and get up and lie down...etc. She will probably go off by herself someplace. I like to put them in a little pen by themselves when they get to where your doe is.

It will be any time now. Just keep watching her.

6. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

I have a really nice looking boer doe like that. I am beginning to wonder about her. She's great looking and full blooded, but been covered by my really good buck for a year. No kids yet. She is probably about 2 YO. I'd like to get a bloodline out of her, she's really beefed up and kids that look like her would be meaty kids. I wouldn't say she's "fat" looking, but heavily muscled. She's looking like she's bred now, and looks like she may be carrying at least one kid. She should be due soon, but her genitalia isn't swollen at all. She doesn't look to be springing like the other does. Her physical form is masculine, yet she still looks like a doe. She's more diminutive than a buck. I've got her sister who was a first freshener in Dec. She has nice kids, but this girl looks even better than the sister. Since I have been a nurse I own a good stethescope. Do you think it would be possible for me to restrain her and listen for extra heartbeats in her tummy? You reckon I could hear them if there were some like you can do with human babies? At least I'd know rumen sounds for sure. I have a goat raising friend who says I should sell her. I've even double checked her to be sure I didn't buy a weather. Nope, she's got the female parts and not the male ones. My friend thinks she's sterile and was just fattened for the sale.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

thanks for all your help!
    about my pygmy doe,
    she is not overconditioned, and she always stands well for the buck. i always catch her and put her in with the buck a day before she goes into a standing heat. she is a pet goat, and the only doe in with the buck, recieving full attention. he is also in good health as far as i can see. he acts like a normal buck. he isn't proven, however. next year my other doeling will be old enough to be bred, and if she does't get bred, than i'll fix him and keep him as a whether. if my doeling does gets bred and my doe doesn't, than i may stop trying to breed her. it may just be that her body is unused to being bred. but it seems to me that if she went into heat three times with access to a buck that her body would at least accept it..... her last breeding was this last friday..... now to wait to see if she is pregnant!

also, anyone know a good breeder of pygmies or fainting goats in lower michigan? the pygmies perferrably unregistered, the fainting goats perferrably IFGA. thanks!