Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this-please move it if you need to! I am looking for someone to answer some questions I have about the swallows we have and I can't find much beyond the basics online and have a few specific questions I would like answered....so is anyone a barn swallow expert? Feel free to pm me....thanks!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have quite a few in our neighborhood and they build nests in the little covered patios we all have in the front of our houses.....we had one with 4 babies and as soon as they fledged- the first day- my crazy mother went and knocked down the nest! I was mad and got online and it said you should not knock them down-they will come back and use the nest for a few days after they fledge- is that true? I think it must be because I still see several flying into the entry and their nest was taken down almost a month ago- can it be the same ones?
And then a few days later I saw huge flock of them on the side of the neighbors house- all along the east side, clinging with their feet and some would fly away and then swirl around and come back and then fly away again....is this how they behave before they migrate south? After that day there are just a few here and there and I am wondering if it is the youngest ones that are left? And then today they are coming back to our house- three or four of them and sitting on the light fixtures and coming into the covered area where the nest was but of course, there is nothing there- are they not going to go with the others? And if I had a roost box in the little area would they use it? They would not try to make another nest so late in the year would they? Are they looking for shelter?
Sorry so long, I just have guilt since Mom knocked down the nest and my kids and I love them and want to know if there is anything we should do....thanks so much for any answers!

·
Legally blonde!
3,318 Posts
Hmmm...well I have tons of barn swallows that live in my barn with the goats and from what I have seen yes fledglings will continue to use the nest for several days to a week or two after they have started flying but that is just what I have observed every year with their hatches.

Not sure what you could do with the little guys now. I am not sure on the migrating question though...last year I do remember one or two youngsters sticking around the barn during winter but I can't remember if all of them did or not :shrug: .

Justine

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are so many things I just can't seem to find out about them on the interent- very frustrating! :help:

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Lots of Barn Swallows around here. Ours usually don't come back to the nest once they are flying, but, will come back to the area usually perching on power lines or other such wires. They never stay too late in the fall, I always thought they went to Texas for the winter. LOL. They do gather in large flocks before leaving, but, I think there are always a few stragglers that leave a little later.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's to early for them to go South.

I'm just south of Dallas. We have two or three hatchings a year if the snakes don't get eggs or babies.

With the group gathering they were either new ones picking mates or perhaps a weather, wind, change. They will form large flocks in the fall to go south.

If mud is availible now the two that had their nest knocked down will try to build a new one in the same place. If not they will do it next year.

Gotta LOVE them. They eat their weight every day in insects

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that flock did go south, there are only about 10 left that I see every day and there were over 60! I was counting them the day they were on the wall. Wonder if I should make a mud puddle for them? Heehee, people would really think I was crazy then! I do love them, they are so graceful and pretty to watch when we sit outside. I need a book on swallows now...... :baby04:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Lindafisk said:
.....we had one with 4 babies and as soon as they fledged- the first day- my crazy mother went and knocked down the nest! I was mad and got online and it said you should not knock them down-they will come back and use the nest for a few days after they fledge- is that true? I think it must be because I still see several flying into the entry and their nest was taken down almost a month ago- can it be the same ones?

Yes, they will be the same ones. Swallows leave the nest the first time and don't go too far, and at night they come back and stay in the nest again. This goes on for several days, and even after they don't go back to the nest, they will stay in the immediate neighborhood.

Another reason to not take down the nest is the parents will reclutch in the same nest and raise that second batch of birds.

And then a few days later I saw huge flock of them on the side of the
neighbors house- all along the east side, clinging with their feet and some would fly away and then swirl around and come back and then fly away again....is this how they behave before they migrate south? After that day there are just a few here and there and I am wondering if it is the youngest ones that are left? And then today they are coming back to our house- three or four of them and sitting on the light fixtures and coming into the covered area where the nest was but of course, there is nothing there- are they not going to go with the others? And if I had a roost box in the little area would they use it? They would not try to make another nest so late in the year would they? Are they looking for shelter?

I don't know your area, but in the North they all leave sometime later on this month. They don't really need to come back to the old nest at this point--they are old enough and savvy enough. They probably just like the familiar, though.

Jennifer

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After I posted a reply to Yvonne I went outside again and looked and now there are many more of them than I have seen since the flocking behavior!
Yvonne must have told them to come back!! And single ones seem to be flying in from all sides. I counted 36 just in front of the house and there are more down the street- you can hear them chattering to each other. I wonder where they have been? I am out there on and off all day- every day and have only seen 10 or so at a time since that day. It is a mystery to me but I have missed them and I'm glad they are here for now!

I'm still thinking about making a mud puddle but I don't think anyone else would understand...... :1pig:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Go ahead and make them a mud puddle. I understand. There might be just enough time for another hatch if the couple that were displaced got busy.

I've noticed that before another clutch is established they always add some more mud to an existing nest. So the others would appreciate it too.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at a neighbors earlier and they have a nest that she said was recently being used. I also noticed here at our house that there are some mud balls being placed close to where the original nest was- not many and not really noticable unless you are odd (like me!) and really looking! So maybe that is what they were working on earlier. Also, tonight there were LOTS more birds than usual- I counted 38 in front of the house and there were around 20 in front of the neighbors and many more down the street. I know it is weird to check but they are interesting to see!

I did water the flower bed really well and I have found a big saucer to fill with mud! I will tell people it is an experiment for the homeschool! :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
At my house, they have raised 2 clutches this summer.
I know that they will return to the nest next year, and probably the year after. The one nest on my house has been there for 3 years and is used over again.

tinda :cowboy:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am pretty sure they had raised one brood before we even moved in, then there was another that we watched when we moved here a little over a month ago. Can they raise three in one summer? I guess it is a long summer.....

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
The ones right outside my window are on their second batch of babies this season. They come back and use the same nest year after year, and I imagine their babies build next door, as there are more nests every year.

I think that the barometric pressure has something to do with their flying/feeding habits, as on certain days they fly low and on others they are high up in the sky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts