Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've been discussing motorizing a grain mill with Randy Jones of Bitterroot Tool & Machine in Montana which make the GrainMaker grain mills: http://www.grainmaker.com/ My DH has an old hit-or-miss engine which needs something to run so we are going to attach the grain mill to the old antique engine and take it around to fairs and parades and things to grind grain to make doughnuts. Should be a hot seller as well as fun to watch the antique motor run the mill. This is his recommendation for the GrainMaker grain mill which has steel burrs:

"I recommend using at least a 3/4 HP motor and the smallest pulley you can put on it. Need to keep the mill burrs turning under 150 RPM's. This mill should hold up to the Hit or Miss engine."

·
Registered
222 Posts
first off, what kind of mill is it? large for doing animal feed or for doing small amounts for home human milling....and you should use the largest pully you can fit on it...mill side not motor...motor side, keep it small...mike

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I put a DC motor on my mill that I grind my chicken feed with and it works great. I chose DC for 2 reasons, First because I can control the speed easily and Secondly, because it is off grid anyway

Speed(rpm) will be what you have to work out. If it is a hand mill, probably needs to stay below 100 rpm's. Most hand mills don't have any bearings that could handle alot higher rpm's.

What kind of mill have you got, and what are your plans to use it for?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts