Help with milk, stillborn baby

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jeanbean, May 13, 2005.

1. jeanbean

jeanbean New Member

Hello, I am new to posting here so I will try to give all my information correctly, we had one of our does kid last night, and it was stillborn, very sad!!!,she only had the one, my question is, should we try to relieve her milk, I am almost sure she has passed her afterbirth already, but her sack is huge!!!!!!!!This is a pygmy goat. On the brighter side we had triplets 4 weeks ago, all doing very well, I thought maybe we could get one of them on her, we have never had this to happen, as we have only been goat owners for about a year, and this is our first spring to have kids.Thank You for any suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!
    Julie

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would try to get a kid on her....rub vicks on her nose and hold her when you introduce the baby...once the baby has some of her milk. The only problem is the first milk is colostrum and your older kids are onto milk by now.

3. jeanbean

jeanbean New Member

Thank you for the quick reply, I will do that , but will the colostrum upset them, or their belly's I should say?? Thank you again!!!!

4. mpillow

colostrum is a natural laxative and lasts from 3-7 days....you may do better to milk her for a few days and then get a baby on her....freeze the colostrum its very handy at kidding time!

5. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

When freezing the colostrum, how long will it last in the freezer, nerver thought to do this. thanks

6. jeanbean

jeanbean New Member

Alright, I got some milk out of her, only about a cup or so, she is very upset!!, I dont seem to be dumb about this, but this is our first time dealing with this situation, I was wondering how much milk should I try to get out of her at a time?, I did freeze the colostrum, great idea, as we needed some awile back, and we have another getting ready to kid, so I will have it if needed.I will try putting a kid on her in a couple of days also. Thank you so much for all your help, I really do appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!

7. mpillow

Not sure how long its good for but.... I personally would use it up to a year old from my deep freeze. Be sure to leave expansion room as well.
    I freeze milk over the whole summer and fall and use it in April and May on kids...I had a mom freshen with no milk due to worms but her two boys were well fed because the freezer was full of milk....used bovine colostrum because I had no goat.
    Hope things go well and soon for the next doe and hopefully you'll have adopted out a kid to this girl.
    Try to milk her out as much as possible (flat) and just tiny dribbles of milk....some bag balm would be nice for her too.

8. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

Milk her out. freeze the colalstrum. milk her twice a day. and mark it first day, ect. so next year you will have this, it is a great thing to have. second, I would milk her out daily. you can try getting her to adopt a kid, but I doubt she will. but you can try. just let the kids milk her out. the colastrum won't harm them , because after 12 hours thir tummy closes to it. but you can give them a bottle of their mothers milk, inbetween feedings. put them to her twice a day, at least, or milk her out twice aday. morning and night.
    IF you don't she will gt mastistis, or milk fever.