Help with Insurance Question.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by donsgal, May 30, 2006.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

We are trying to find an insurance company that will insure properties that are off the grid.

The three companies that we called earlier today will not insure properties that are not fully hooked up to utilities. It is going to be a while before we are (hopefully never), so we are stuck trying to figure out how to get insurance.

I know that some of you are, or know folks who are, off the grid. Any help is appreciated.

Dongal

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My original cabin on this property was off-grid...still is as a matter of fact. (now it's a guest cabin)

State Farm fully insured my off-grid cabin....still does as a matter of fact.

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

We are entirely off the grid and State Farm insures our home too

4. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I called them and they won't insure a 1989 mobile home. *sigh* The search continues....

donsgal

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So what is a 17 year old mobile home worth? Will they insure its contents?

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We had to go with two different companies - one for the dwelling/contents and the other for... I don't recall now. Liability?

Anyway, some companies didn't like the wood burning stove; some didn't like how remote we are; some didn't like that we had a German Shepherd (it was on their list of "dangerous" dogs) and on and on. So we ended up calling back all the companies in the area and saying "What *can* you insure?" (not in a mean snotty way, in a "help me out" way).

The company that didn't like the german shepherd wouldn't do the liability but they did the dwelling/contents. The one that didn't like the wood stove did the liability, I think.