Help with indoor vegies

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by motivated, Jan 6, 2005.

1. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I am trying to grow vegies inside for winter. They are in a sunny window, and I use a grow light at night. They are in a room with the woodstove so its fairly warm at night (68-72). Today I went to water and there was Mold? White on the outside of the clay pots. I thought about wiping it off with vinegar. What would cause this overwatering? We have had lots of rain and snow this week.

2. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

That happens to my houseplants too. I think it's caused by the fertilizer. I just wipe it off, it doesn't seem to bother the plants.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It is excess salts that dissolve in the water and leach to the outside of the pots. If you can, set the pots into a large pan and really pour the water to them. You want the soil totally saturated. Don't leave them in the water more than a couple of minutes, then put them where they can drain completely. (You can turn another pot upside down in the pan and set your veggie pot on top to elevate it and drain the water.) This removes excess salts from the soil. The salts can build up to toxic levels if not leached out occasionally.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Make sure they don't have light on them 24 hours a day. Most plants need a light dark cycle to grow properly. 12 to 16 hours of daylight, with the rest in darkness, would work.

Follow Cyngbaeld's leaching directions, and all should be well.

Meg :)

5. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

:) Thank you all so much. I am following your suggestions. This did happen after I started using Miracle Grow. Do any of you grow vegies indoors?

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I grew tomatoes in the house last year. They were those big red cherries. It was so nice having them all winter. Some mornings I would get up to find the fire out in the stove and the plants frosted a bit, but they always came back. I've kept houseplants tho for some 36 yrs.