Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 52 IH L130.

Sunday, I realized the fuel tank was clogging and drained it. Afterward, it ran great. Never saw so much gas in the clear plastic fuel filter.

It sat for two days. Then yesterday I could not get it started. No gas in the fuel filter. I put in a new gas line and that didn't help.

I removed the fuel pump and tried pumping by hand to see if there was suction and I did not detect any.

I assume the fuel pump filled up with crap from the fuel tank.

Anyone with any other diagnosis? And has anyone ever opened the old fashioned fuel pumps to see if they could be remedied? Or should I not waste my time and just go buy a new fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
if it is one that has the screw around the body of it, then go for it, but more than likely if it has not been worked on in recent memory the diaphragm will tear getting it apart, but if it does not work now you have little to lose in attempting a repair besides time, the option is replacement like you said, some place may have a kit to rebuilt it, that may be an option as well,

·
Registered
542 Posts
My old Case has a screen filter in the tank that would plug up. Might look into the tank and see if there's an internal screen filter.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
When I have a tractor with trash in the fuel tank I remove the fitting from the bottom of the tank and obviously I do what I can to clean the tank. Then I get a small barbed brass fitting and a few feet of rubber gas line/tubing that will fit the fitting and an inline fuel filter that will fit the tubing. The tubing and the barbed fitting must be small enough to pass back through the threaded outlet hole in the fuel tank. I use a length of mason twine and pass it through the outlet in the bottom of the fuel tank and out the fuel fill hole, then tie the mason twine to the rubber gas line and pull one end of the hose into the tank. On the fitting that was removed from the bottom of the tank I mount the barbed fitting so the the barb end goes in the tank. (To mount the barbed section to the removed tank fitting I grind the threads off the barbed fitting to where that end of the barbed fitting can be inserted into the removed tank fitting. I also drill the tank side of the removed tank fitting to make the hole a little larger. If the removed tank fitting is too small to accomplish this I just use the barbed section only and I put part of the barb into the removed tank fitting. Using either method, this joint is then sealed and secured using JB Weld.) The hose that has the loose end sticking from the tank is put on the barb and the outlet fitting with the modification is reassembled in the tank. I use the nylon twine to pull the other end of the hose out the gas filler neck and I install the inline fuel filter and then drop that and the nylon line back into the tank. The modified bottom tank outlet can now only get fuel than comes through the inline filter. The inline filter will lay off the bottom of the fuel tank and be above the trash and deliver clean fuel. Should you ever need to change the inline filter just fish it back out through the fuel fill hole and change it. I have done this for years on both gas and diesel and it works great. I seldom have had to change the inline filter that is in the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts