Help with finishing

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by iacceptcash, Aug 29, 2006.

1. iacceptcash

iacceptcash Member

I am getting ready to finish off my steers, so they can go to market. Can someone offer tips on what grain mixture will be best. The other problem I have is I am not sure where to buy my feed from. So if you have suggestions on best place to buy (I live in the N.E Texas area. With easy access to DFW, Decatur Gainesville,etc...)

From looking at the commercially packaged feeds around my area, I just haven't found anything that I am impressed with. So any recomendations for a feed mill that I can buy direct from would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

2. RedGeranium

RedGeranium Well-Known Member

Do ya have any feedlots around there? Go talk to the owner/manager about what they feed. They grind and mix their own complete rations. And they might be willing to sell ya a pickupload at a time.
    They usually start off with a mostly hay mix increasing the grain to hay % every couple of weeks until they are on a real heavy grain/hay mix until finished.
    I finished 4 grand champion 4-H steers that way...way back when...
    Now I only raise grass-fed young beef and lamb so I'm really outa the loop.

3. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Feed 'em 8-10# rolled barley per day their last two weeks, othewise just good hay. That's what the ranchers do around here.

4. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

I just jacked-up the cattle feed my steers get daily. I'ts just 14% pelleted cattle feed @ 3.25 a 50# bag. The one steer earmarked for the slaughterhouse this Friday is getting about four pounds in the morning, four pounds @ noon, and four more pounds in the evening for his last three weeks of life. He was pasture and grain feed his entire life and can be seen in the "Got Beef" thead posted by me a couple of days ago....I don't think there is any true/perfect feeding program or grain, just do the best you can and afford and make adjustments from there......Tennessee John

5. rman

rman Member

My holstein is 1200 pounds and he is getting 20 pounds a day of cracked corn plus all the grass he can eat for the last four weeks before he is butchered. I started him out at a pound the first day and increased the corn a pound every day to get him used to it.