Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went to see our goats and found this. Little doe that was born in April. She is super tiny. 25-30#. Otherwise healthy..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is she squinting in bright light? my first thought would be pinkeye. I did a drop of penicillin in the effected eye twice a day for aprox 5 days when my goats had pinkeye. My vet said that treatment was fine as long as it was not ulcerated.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Looks like pinkeye to me. I'd give a shot of L A 200. I believe you can give it I M or S Q. May need to treat for several days. Be advised if you have pregnant does that are exposed to this goat with pinkeye, they could abort pre term.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
conjunctivitis aka pinkeye we used gentamicin ointment from the vet it will clear it up nicely. It can be contagious so wash your hands or use gloves.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I like NFZ puffer if it is pinkeye. I would carefully flush they eye with eyewash or tepid water first. Make sure there isn't something in there.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I think nfz is not for food producing animals though, correct? If she's a doeling she should be able to receive it, but I'm not sure there is a withdrawal listed. If she's that small though she probably won't/shouldn't be bred this year anyways, so I'm sure if she's destined to be a dairy doe for you she will have a long time before her milk is consumed anyways.

Personally, I remember wiping the drips off the face with alcolhol on a a peice of paper towel and applying REGULAR neosporin direct to the eye. I also give injectable LA200 (I prefer BioMycin because it's no sting) SQ for 7 days. It can be contagious within a herd, and if you aren't careful you could get it too. Not treating can lead to an ulcerated eye/permanent eye damage/loss of the eye.

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Generally, one shot of oxytetracyline (LA 200) at 6.6cc/100lbs is all we give. If it hasn't started to improve by day 5, then a second shot would be warranted (have never needed a 2nd shot).

Many breeders put Today or Tomorrow (an antibiotic) in the affected goat's eye daily. Easy to apply (much easier than ointments) and just as effective. Yes, it is the same stuff you use for udder infusions.

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Poor thing!

I'm dealing with this right now. Vet recommended flushing the eye, then Terramycin ointment 3x a day, with two sub-Q injections of LA200/Biomycin (3.5cc/100lbs) with 48 hours in between.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
If you can get gentamycin, it'll work well. Otherwise, good ol' Neosporin applied BID for 5 days will clear it up.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Haven't had to deal with this YET (!) but good information...especially using the Today...never would have thought of that!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts