Help with electric fence

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by furholler, Apr 17, 2005.

1. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

Can anyone tell me specifically why the manual to my Gallagher fence charger and just about anything I read, for that matter, says not to run a fence paralell to power lines and phone lines? Does this mean not to put the wire directly under the power lines? Or don't run them paralell anywhere? I ask because the power lines run to my house strait down the middle of my property and I may not be able to fence at all with electric. Any advice would be great. :confused:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The reason that you do not run an electric fence parallel with the utility power lines is that voltage can be induced into the fence from the utlity lines. It acts somewhat as a transformer. Though one line is not connected directly to the other, the arrangment can cause voltage from on set of wires to be present on the other thus creating a hazard.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I might be wrong, but I think they mean right next to them. I can't imagine lines 30' up, or whatever their height is, will cause a problem. As far as phone line, that makes sence. Because it can cause phone lines to "tick, tick tick", etc. In fact, some peoples line have stopped working, mainly due to the ground being right next to the phone line. The other no no with electric, would be running it next to power cords, never know if the line developed a hole and carried to the fence. Either way, I think they are talking about running them right close to the power line.

Jeff

4. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

LIGHTNING IS THE REASON to put your ground no where near the telephone or power pole........because the ground on your fence and the ground on you pole.....it is because the power line gets struck by lightning and the strike will run down the power pole into the ground and back up to your fencer knocking it out.......same with the lines running near the power lines parrell lightning hits the line and then has a better chance of it jumping to your fence line if just runs under for a short distance no very good chance of it to run to your line if only under power line a short distance.....telephone lines the same thing but most the time they are closed to the ground so easy for them to jump to your fence if running long distance under it.......i use 4 spark areastors on my fence line...only calls for one but i put on each side of where the line goes under the power line.....make sure the grounds for the spark arestors have 2 times better ground then the fencer ground.......nothing will happen to your house but fencers are not warranty for lightning that i know of...at least mine are not ........john

5. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

We farmed some ground that had high voltage powerlines running through it. When ever we would park under it with our pickup that had the tall whip antenea on it it would shock you. It was not as large a jolt as an electric fence, but you noticed it. Took us two years to figure out what was going on. Power lines will disrupt an electric fence.

Bobg

6. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of where you can place big metal plates under the power lines and "harvest" the electricity (maybe to batteries)? One of my customers is a utility and they mentioned that this used to be a big problem. They now have helicopter's that check the lines and look for plates. I never asked about (for fear of not really understanding how the electrcity works) :)

Any Thoughts?

Dan

7. agmantoo

From the very high tension power lines you can get the **** knocked out of you by the induced voltage. The voltage is so high that a 8 ft. flourescent lamp will glow if held by hand toward the wires. I am unaware of people stealing power in this manner. The voltage IMO would be erratic and unstable

8. agmantoo

myersfarm.....How do you go about determining how to make sure the grounds for the spark arestors have 2 times better ground then the fencer ground?

9. furholler

furholler Cedar Cove Farm Supporter

Thanks for the input. Just to clarify, are we talking strictly ground rods or the fence wire itself being paralell with the power lines? I'm affraid to call the utility company for fear they might tell me not to build the fence at all.

10. myersfarm

agmantoo for a better ground you just put 1 6 foot ground rod on your fencer and 2 6 foot on your arestor..running them about 6 foot apart with a brass clamp on both use only one wire trim off the cover to mount onto the middle one so it would be fencer 3 foot wire ground and then 3 foot wire and the other ground...............furholler....right you need to move the fence out from under the power lines say 60 feet .....you should have no problem with your electric fence if.......you dont run very long under the power lines it will cut down on chances of lightning knocking out your fencer.when you go under go straight across ......and never put your ground to the fencer or spark arestors grounds near a power pole or a telephone poles my book said 50 feet i use a company products.......dare ....high trensile fence system book ....john

11. myersfarm

ok after reading my book again it says better ground on arestor then on fencer so i just double it also on the distance from power pole it said 40 feet so i just made it 50......i like to do things only once if i can...john