Help with Bred Does

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lyceum, Nov 14, 2006.

1. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

I am posting this for a friend. I will try to include as much detail as possible. She thought that her does were due (Day 150) Nov. 7. This was the latest. None of the does has kidded and she did not see them in heat after that. One doe's udder is full and has been for over a week now. She is so swelled in the rear that the babies could just slide right out. Ligaments have been gone for a week and she is hollowed out in the rear too. The other 4 or 5 have mostly full udders and are also very swelled hollowed out and ligaments gone. They have been like this since last week. We went to pick up some things from her and checked them over. I have never seen a doe look like this and not kid within 24 hours. She insists that they did not come back into heat again. Even if they did, we are getting into that time frame too.

We are especially worried about the one with the full udder. She has had quads in the past with 3 born dead (all were fully developed and normal size). She has also aborted 6 weeks early. This friend has been raising boers for around 3 years and has never had to assist with a delievery and would not have a clue if one needed help and we are an hour away. Her vet is around 80 and injured his hip recently and cannot get out to help her. He can give drugs though.

What would you all reccomend that she do.

Carisa

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Temperature? Is the doe in labor? Water broke? Any distress at all? The does is swelled, but is she "open"? How long? Does she smell badly? Bleeding/discharge? Any nesting going on? Have they kidded naturally in the past? Shiny udders sometimes indicate labor is soon, also.

It is not unusual for goats to go past their due date by several days. Kidding can be from 145-155 days, depending on the breed. I don't know about boers. Does she have last years gestation period (days) on these goats? Mine kid out at 145 or 6. They could just be waiting until your friend is sound asleep (lol isn't that the way!). Many times does will come in heat, nto settle, and come in heat 7 +/- days later. Could this be the case?

Have her get the kidding bag ready as it sounds like they are close. If she is 100% positive about the due date she could contact her vet for something to induce the labor(not my preference). In the meantime I suggest she read up on kidding, pulling kids, weak newborns, C-sections, ect., or find someone with experience who is closer. Posting here is always welcome but sometimes it's hard because 1. we're not there to see what's happening & 2. there are delays on questions/responses.

That doe may have a problem again-in which case I would cull her being her 2nd/3rd problem pregnancy.

HF

3. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

They are showing no signs of labor. They do make noises when they lay down and have for the past few weeks since they are so large. Today would be Day 157-161 for these does. We are all begining to worry about them. We have no info on previous kiddings on any of these does except for 2. One kidded 152 or 153 last time and she is well past that. If they had come back in 7-10 days later, they still should be kidding. If we needed to, we could get to her house in 45 min. or a little less as most of the way is 4 lane Highway. I think actual travel time at normal speeds to her is 55 min. There is no one else close to her that has goats that would know anything. We can help her out on the phone while driving to her if needed.

Carisa

4. HappyFarmer

To be honest Carisa I'm not seeing any reason to worry. I could be wrong....But I'm not seeing anything that would bother me in your posts-Provided there is no history of disease in these goats. If memory serves there is a disease that cuases problems with kidding/placentas/thickness. I don't remember what it was-or if it was common. Perhaps someone else on the list knows the name. We have no reason at this time to investigate that.

Last year we had a doe swollen for at least a week. Everytime she layed down she would "open up" her skin(not the cervix). Kidded out just fine for me with no problems or infections.

I would keep an eye on them & if any of those symptoms or other oddities arise re-post. There are many here willing to help. She should re-post or seek assistance if hard labor lasts for more than an hour with no kids to show for it. In particular with that one doe I would watch for a dead kid blocking the birthing canal once labor starts-only because she has a history. I would also ask her if she has a kid puller, just in case. And gloves, lubrication, ect. I would also stay on call for your friends sake if you are able.

It sounds to me like the dates are wrong. Also, gestation for singles, doubles, triplets, and quads can vary year to year for the same doe. Sounds like you probably know this anyway, but I feel better posting it.

Added: Pregnancy toxemia is a possibility but there are no symptoms as of yet.
    HP

5. lyceum

lyceum Well-Known Member

Well, one of my friend's does kidded today (finally) with a single doe kid. So maybe they get bred 7-10 days later. Who knows. At least they are making some progress.

Carisa

6. HappyFarmer

Whoo Hoo! Glad to hear it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they all start to go-domino effect.
    HF