help with area rug "hump"

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PezzoNovante, Nov 10, 2005.

1. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

I admit to being clumsy when using Google searches, so I'll ask here because I can't find it anywhere else...

Here's the issue, we've an area rug in the living room sitting atop berber wall-to-wall. It has developed a hump across its width about mid point. No amount of pulling straight, moving or vacuuming will make the hump lie flat. After a small amount of traffic the thing is back.

Needless to say the hump is a trip hazard.

Any suggestions?

2. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Have you tried using those black rubber shock cords with metal hooks that some folks use to hold down loads in their pickups?

Hook one to each corner of the area rug, pull it out a ways to provide some tension, and then hook the other end into the pile of the wall-to-wall carpet.

Presto! No hump!

3. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Here's perhaps a better suggestion: Capitol USA makes a product called "Kwik-Stik" that's supposed to work.

http://www.americannonslip.com/product_list.asp?categoryname=Flooring

It's at the bottom of the Web page.

Here are some folks in Oklahoma who might have it:

BUDDY L. DISTRIBUTION & SUPPLY
    4223 NW 10TH STREET D""
    OKLAHOMA CITY OK, 73127
    Phone: 405-943-2000
    Fax: 405-943-2054
    Miles: 21.45 from 73007

CLASSIC CARPETS & SUPPLIES
    9915 E. 45TH. PL.
    TULSA OK, 74146
    Phone: 918-664-8030
    Fax: 918-664-8033
    Miles: 87.87 from 73007

SMOOT'S CARPET
    10032 E 52ND ST
    TULSA OK, 74146
    Phone:
    Fax:
    Miles: 87.87 from 73007

E & M DISTRIBUTORS
    209 SE J AVENUE
    LAWTON OK, 73501
    Phone: 800-375-2484
    Fax: 580-357-1135
    Miles: 94.93 from 73007

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

One of those waffle weave rubbery mats made for just your problem work great. Have one, no more humps & bumps. Make sure it's almost as large as your rug.

An alternative is that puffy, rubbery paint crafters use on t-shirts. Paint the back of your rug with it. Don't know if that or the mat would be cheaper....

I got a little one for under a scatter rug that has stickey stuff on both sides. Wouldn't advise that kind. Did'nt work, just stuck to my wall-to-wall carpeting.

Would not advise anything that sticks to your wall-to wall. That's an expensive item if stained, etc.

Or place bricks along the edge of the rug......Just teasing, I mean anchor it with a couch, etc.

5. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would suggest getting it cleaned(and there for it would be wet)...and layed out very flat to dry...

Hubby said, that is the backing is "broke" then nothing would help.

Belinda

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Steaming it and smoothing it is the way to go - NOT stretching it - its already stretched too much in the middle. If you can get your hands on a commercial steamer give it a try - do not just steam the hump - steam the whole thing - steaming relaxes the fibers and will smooth things out.

7. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

We are going to try steaming it and see if that helps. Even though it was starting to hump before we had the berber installed, that new w-t-w hasn't helped. We've noticed that the berber tends to move mats and area rugs placed on it in only one direction. Every couple of days I have to re-position the bath mat by the vanity.

8. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

It Just Reminded Me That I Have An Area Rug Laying On The Grass That I Washed Today......! Gotta Get It In...